Mass knife laws and gov't

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I was asking about knife laws in Mass on the legal issues forum. The pertinent statute is about is confusing and stupid as one could get without it being deliberate. I was thinking when I read it I'd really be much happier if the gov'ts had better things to do than micromanage our lives. And I wondered if there was some way we could require the gov't not just to let its huge mass of regulations and laws continue each year, but require them periodically to vote to renew them? To make laws expire unless a majority is still convinced they're needed--NOT just lack a majority willing to throw them out. As it stands the laws of the land are quite out of reach for most of the people they're ostensibly written for. Thoughts?
Uechij

Post by Uechij »

Ian,
This is a great idea, and we should outlaw lifetime terms for all politicians as well. If they had to live in the society they created, as normal citizens without any special privileges, the laws might be a little different. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen though; laws equal revenue for big brother.
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

What are you guys talking about?

Don't you know that the Legislature (especially in Massachusetts) knows what we all need better than we do. They just love cradle to grave legislation and dish it out like KP's in a GI mess hall.

They are often inspired by mail from a few loudmouths who start letter compagnes, and think they are on the right track when they get no oppssition letters.

We should be the opposition when anal legislation if filed; many of us fret, but few express written opposition.

So the courts are left to interpret what the Legislature meant, and sometimes they do a great job.

Massachusetts has always written legislation in statutes, which make an English professor cry.

The dangerous weapon statute, dealing with firearms in a separate section, as you have noted on Martial Arts and the Law forum, is more convoluted than this paragraph, and requires vast concentration to follow the parenthetical expressions, and the commas.

That is why there was so much confusion in the blade limitation of "spring loaded" weapons that the untrained person in Massachusetts legalize, believed that the one and one-half inch limitation applied to all knives, and not just to propelled blades.

Alan K

------------------
"The Goddess of Justice is Blind"

Return to “Realist Training”