How good is Martial Arts in a Riot?

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

I thought we had our fill of these in the 60s. It was bad to have riots happen in the spring, because when the summer came tempers fared up so much more easily.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/cin/news/stories/news-65467920010412-090456.html

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
RickLiebespach

Post by RickLiebespach »

Good question!
I hope it's a good answer!

When we were facing Y2K and some people were saying look out.....I wondered this often.

This is one reason I'm staying open minded to things like Arnis and using a cane (innocent looking Image ) as a weapon
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

One look at martial artists thowing flying kicks at the police at any riot in South Korea helps one understand the effectiveness of martial arts under those conditions.

------------------
RickLiebespach

Post by RickLiebespach »

Since some of us don't watch the Korean news broadcasts, perhaps you could elaborate....
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Next time Korean College Kids go wild, check out your regular TV news station.

When South Korean students go on a rampage, CNN shows clips of them facing and attacking riot police. An astute eye often reveals Korean martial arts techniques performed by UNARMED people against the boys in blue. I chuckle every time I see a flying sidekick effectlessly bounce off a policeman's shield.

That sort of thing can't happen here? prostitute, prostitute, prostitute! A lot of youse guys reading these forums weren't born yet, but I remember Kent State which was only the frosting on the cake when America was in turmoil.

------------------

Return to “Realist Training”