UECHI LONGEVITY

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Re: UECHI LONGEVITY-- Winter

Post by Art Rabesa »

1/27/17 Falmouth Massachusetts 35 degrees 9:20AM
Not bad for this time of year. Had my coffee and Portuguese muffin. Ready for my walk. It's warm enough to walk outside. When it gets below 30 degrees I use my treadmill. I remember when these temps didn't matter to me. Back then I was jogging. Now I'm walking. Walking fast, but walking all the same. Getting the layers on. Under shirt - sweat shirt- thermo jacket - wool knit hat - gloves - heavy sweat pants. That's it I guess. Grab my cellphone and lets tackle those hills. Back in about 45 minutes. Have to work on some ideas for my next video lesson when I return. I like the cold air on my face when I'm walking. Makes me feel wide awake and alive. The beginning of another day in paradise. Springs coming. -------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
hthom

Re: UECHI LONGEVITY

Post by hthom »

Keep on trucking, Art.
I am three hours behind you. On my way to the gym------
Art Rabesa

Re: UECHI LONGEVITY --east / west

Post by Art Rabesa »

Make sure you apply sun protection outside Henry. Don't want to get burned out there in Southern Cal. Being a Boston guy, I'm sure you know what it's like here this time of year. Do you jump in the pool when you return from the gym? I'm jealous my friend. Just keep moving.--------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
hthom

Post by hthom »

I still remember not long ago when it was frozen outside (in Boston), say 20F, I was walking around in a muscle shirt. No problem. Well, it is about 58 today here in San Francisco, I am wearing three layers indoor. What the hell happened?

It was only until a year ago I never felt "old". It was a mental thing, I told myself. I was still pushing those heavy weights in the gym, doing all eight katas fast with almost no time in between, checking out the women every chance I had. But, turned 72 really screw up everything. No matter how positive I try to be, I can feel the undeniable slow down and weakening. Can't fool myself any more. The only way I can do all eight katas in one session nowadays is do them in Taichi speed. The gym workouts? I am telling myself that they are for circulations, that's about it.

I will keep on trucking as well. Still learning how to relax and slow down, and how to let all the bs fly by.

Take care, my friend. You are doing great.
Art Rabesa

Re: UECHI LONGEVITY--SUMMER CAMP

Post by Art Rabesa »

There is a very good example of Uechi Longevity at Sensei Mattson's Uechi Summer Camp in August. Six 10th dans will be teaching. George Mattson - Walter Mattson - James Thompson - Van Canna - Art Rabesa - Jim Maloney. Jim Maloney being the youngest at 71. Something Uechi practitioners should take advantage of. See you there. ------Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Priorities and adapting play a realistic role in training. As the decades fly by, you find yourself placing more emphasis on certain elements. You want to perform the way you always have. To do this, certain things have to be adjusted. This is what you work on. To be able to move and hit strong, certain physical things are realigned. Things are not as lengthened as they once were. Your not concerned with covering that large distance any more. You work your feet slightly different to move quicker in bursts, rather than larger distances. You work harder to coordinate the "one piece" movements, that'll enable you to bring everything into one explosion. Not "Fighting" anymore; so work on more realistic striking. Work on your striking to allow for very hard impact. Work your kata to not race through it. Slide through the movements,bringing everything in "one piece" for speed and power.
Let your teaching reflect on the knowledge, and experience, you've absorbed all these years. To give your students what you now know will get it done. Your attitude will change into a more observing teacher. Making corrections have moved to making observations. Adapting your teaching to the individual performing. "To get the job done, this will work for you."
You know where the explosiveness lies. To bring it out in all you do is the key. This is worked constantly.
My philosophy is simple: I do it the way I see it. Not everyone will see it as I do. That is understood and respected. I carry on.---------Happy Trails ---------Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Good post Art.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

The longer I've been around, the less attention I want. The longer I've been around, the less fireworks I want to be around. The longer I've been around, the more I seek those that I want in my life. The longer I've been around, the more simple I wish it to be. The longer I've been around, the lower certain elements become. The longer I've been around, the higher basic elements rise. The longer I've been around, the clearer life becomes. The longer I've been around, peace becomes very paramount.
To know what you need, and want, in your life becomes the sole factor. The longer I've been around.
Happy Trails everyone ---------------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”