hips or the arm,,,chicken or the egg

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

hoshin

hips or the arm,,,chicken or the egg

Post by hoshin »

Hi all,
hope this question is of interest and deserving an answer. its just something i have been mulling over for the last 20 years. i have always thought of the hips as the booster jets on the side of the space shuttle to help it gain speed at the lift off. IE, the hips start the action and theoreticly push the arm and smaller muscles from behind. then the arm engages to continue the action. my old sensei thinks differently. i was hoping to hear what Art thinks and could explain his views on this very fine timing. is there a better way?

steve
Bill Bauknecht

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Hi Steve,
The hips most definitely have a lot to do with the torquing action I speak of. However, you also heard me talk about keeping everything in one piece. In order to hit with stopping power, the strike must be delivered in one piece. I have spoken about that "one" piece many many times. Until it is seen, sometimes it is very hard to imagine. As far as there being a better way to hit?? I can't think of one. Hopefully, in the upcoming segments, this will be more clearly defined. Thanks for your interest.
Art.

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”