Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How long can you wait
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:44 pm 

Hey teachers here's one to play with. Have your students work on any pre arranged two person set. It doesn't matter what it is. Have them wait a little longer to perform their block.Wait until the strike is actually on its way before blocking. After missing many of the blocks, you'll notice how short and crisp their blocks are becoming. To be able to deflect or block the attack this way, will allow them to actually get a better look at the incoming strike. Do the block required, but just hold off slightly. NOW! teach them to use their one piece movement in their blocks. Everything beginning and ending at the same time. This allows the blocks to be very effective and strong. I've talked about this many times. I've demonstrated it many times. Now, I'd like you to teach it. Have the attacks come short of contact for safety. You will be able to detect a successful block or a miss. What you want, is for your students to explode into that block. Be very strict about waiting longer.In a short time they will become very successful doing it this way. Remember-----Nothing succeeds like success. -------Happy Trails ------Art

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:53 pm 

Worked on this last night. Try meeting the attack from all points. No pre notice of the attack. Picking up the attack and moving at the same time. This becomes easier when you have practiced "moving in one piece" for awhile. Not an easy drill, but it pays benefits. As soon as the attack is detected, the "one piece movement" explodes into that attack. As I've mentioned before, some of the blocks will not catch all of the attack. The idea here, is to at least deflect enough of the attack to get off your strike. Not all blocks will be perfect. You must train to get enough of that attack ,to be able to stop any more. When you are "attacking the attack", your attack should be almost at the same time. I posted a topic I called "The Next Level". This is going to the next level. ----Happy Trails-----Art