hair trigger

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

hair trigger

Post by Art Rabesa »

Know the situation. Know what is going on around you. Are you beginning to get that uneasy feeling? Feel these things, know the signs, know yourself. I've been in situations like this. I know how I feel when something is not right. You can't practice this sensation but you can practice your quick draw. Like an old time gun fighter, you want a hair trigger on your pistola. See what is happening and be ready to pull that trigger. When the bad guy moves toward you, FIRE. Do not let him get that attack off. We'll figure things out later. Here is a little quick draw drill I like. I call it "You move - I move" I trained many of my fighters using this drill. Have your partner hold the kicking pad. Face your partner with your hands at your side. Have your partner lunge the bag at you sharply. Detect it quickly and fire your hands at the pad. Work on picking up the movement from your partner quickly. That hair trigger develops when your hands begin to fire just as you pick up the attack. Try this with the smaller striking mitts as well. Your hands do not have to be in the fighting position to fire fast. Work on getting the hands moving from your side. The hands are firing right from your side, They do not come up before firing. Work this drill as a regular part of the class. You will develop that hair trigger I speak of. ------Happy Trails ------- Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: hair trigger

Post by Art Rabesa »

Let me just expand a little more on having a quick draw. When you begin to have success with the very short strikes, and you are hitting pretty hard with them. This would be a real good time to start developing that hair trigger I speak of. Being able to fire those hands on a dime and give nine cents change is a huge weapon to have. Have your dojo mate move the small striking mitts around. Practice firing that short strike at the instant you detect movement. Work this all the time in every workout.. Watch how quick your hands become. -----Happy Trails------ Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: hair trigger

Post by Art Rabesa »

I have always liked firing the front hand or leg. It will get to the target quicker. With some practice, you will also be able to hit very hard from the front side. This really goes along with the hair trigger I speak of. Snapping that front hand from the power base can really hit very hard. This is not the ordinary "jab". Front foot with a slight slide can also hit very hard. I like to fire it to the upper leg followed up with that front hand. These two shots are on target in a snap. Check out the leg thrust and striking section of the web site. Working the front side of your body can really give you that hair trigger needed in a real situation. If you ever catch me at a Uechi Ryu camp, ask me to show you what I mean. Glad to do it. -----Happy Trails----- Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”