Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:40 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
1) Meta: Specifically, why a protein bar and not a piece of fruit, or a cup of veggies microwaved? Takes 30 seconds, and perhaps less to eat.
I think when Americans say: “I don’t have time to eat, what they really mean is, “I’m too lazy to make/prepare my food.”

2) Me! I eat well over 9 servings of veggies a day, and I am not a vegetarian, and, I don’t spend a lot of time for food prep either. Perhaps 20 minutes a day. I also eat a Japanese diet, one which is arguably one of the healthiest there is.


3) (BTW) BY demographics, Japanese people are the longest lived ethnic group on the planet. Hmmm.


Bruise* Lee replies :
Damn dude - not only are you long winded and boring, but its pitiful to watch you get so desperate to prove to yourself that you are right, and thereby try and emotionally secure your lagging self esteem from losing an argument that this is actually painful to read your replies.

1) No its not that I am lazy to "prepare my own food" - hell, its I am too busy to eat. I know it is rare but some people (referring to me) are too busy to eat. On an average day during a surgery rotation I might have 7 or 8 surgeries. 2 or 3 minor ones in the early morning and then perhaps a 7 hour surgery on someone with an undetermined gastric bleed or colon bleed starting around 10 AM. So I get all scrubbed in and everything and what....I am supposed to tell everyone to stop at noon so I can go eat lunch? All while some guy is bleeding to death on the table. C'mon - some of us have to work for a living - we don't just get salaries to piddle around while posting incessantly on the internet vying for attention to fill the void we lacked as children, such as in the manner that you do. That is part of the reason I only get to post here every now and then instead of constantly throughout the day like it was my main job, Mr. Metablade. I wish I had time to stop and eat - but most days I don't. I also can't keep a bowl of Miso soup in the pocket of my scrubs - I might have surgeries in the AM at one hospital and surgeries in the PM at another facility. So I cannot always plan on where I will leave my food in the fridge.

Also, even though you refer to me as "scrubs" in your juvenile name calling posts - I take my profession seriously and proudly. I mean hopefully by now it is obvious to everyone how much I dislike you for your ignorant and arrogant and juvenile attitude, and posts - I just want to point out the juvenile nature of using a derisive term like "scrubs" to as there is no doubt to our relationship and the juvenile nature of your methods. I highly doubt you have accomplished anything close to my list in your life : athletically, financially, the number of successfull businesses I have owned/built/sold, the number of college degrees I have - I mean if you have even done half of what I have it would put you far above average. You can call me scrubs if you want - it provides good balance to all the people who have called me such titles as Boss, Sir, Doctor.

2) Again food pre is not the point - any guy can act gay for a few minutes and make some tofu San Fransisco gay banana supreme meal for themselves to choke down - I am sure you are good at that - but again, for those of us who work for a living, I mean really work - who can find the time to take a break and eat. When you are actually doing something necessary for a living, when you are actually engaged in a good cause, when you perform a needed service for people - if you ever get a chance to do something like this - you will find little time to eat. I encourage you to do it - because you will also find it so rewarding that posting on the internet will be something you do every now and then - not constantly like it was your only job, throwing up 30 or more posts a day that regardless of what words are written really are just saying : notice me, love me, my mommy didn't - please appreciate me.

3) You imply that the Japanese diet contributes strongly to their life span. This contradicts what you have posted in other areas in which you emphatically state that "doctors" will tell us that diet plays little role in health and life span. This is what frustrates me with debating little people such as yourself - winning is so important to your fragile self esteem tghat you don't care if you are consistent or even if you make a point. I as "scrubs" for one am at least consistent with my message - I at least have a real identity because I know what I am talking about and speak from that knowledge. If I was just seeking attention, and to try to impress someone with my ability to tear down - then yes I would try (like yourself) to win an argument at all costs even if it meant contradicting myself. But I need to point out you have clearly stated elsewhere that "doctors" will tell us diet plays a minor role in health - and yet here imply that the Japanese diet is the mainstay or Japanese longevity. I am sure these lapses of consistency are missed as you sit and commisserate with the other prairie dog employees where you work when you take a break from your little cubicles.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:54 pm
Posts: 1205
Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
-Lao Tzu

_________________
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:54 pm
Posts: 1205
As well,
Thank you for reminding me of another golden expression:

When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you.

I must learn to heed this more.

_________________
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:54 pm
Posts: 1205
Anonymous wrote:
Bruise* Lee replies :
Damn dude - not only are you long winded and boring, but its pitiful to watch you get so desperate to prove to yourself that you are right.


Meta: On the issue of one swigging wheat grass as a "cure-all" to good health being an incorrect analysis, Yes, based upon what I know, I'd say I was right to point out that it isn't.

Anonymous wrote:
~and thereby try and emotionally secure your lagging self esteem from losing an argument that this is actually painful to read your replies.


Meta: You make an assumption which is rather baseless, I'd say. In fact I’d always considered my self esteem to be quite high in fact, given the circumstances from which my life experience stems from.

Anonymous wrote:
1) No its not that I am lazy to "prepare my own food" - hell, its I am too busy to eat.


Meta: That's a shame. Your health will probably suffer in the long run. But as to my generalization that most Americans have become lazy in the Kitchen department, one only needs to peruse the local Supermarket aisles and notice three main facts that "generally are true.

1. The chip and cookie aisles have grown quite huge over the last 15 years or so. In most stores, they are at least three aisles in length.

2. Many Supermarkets now offer extensive premade meals available, which in most cases, are except from listing both calorie contents and ingredients.

3. The frozen foods sections grow larger still, while the fresh meat and vegetables sections grow smaller. I remember when Supermarkets actually had "butchers" rather than the store associates that most chains employ these days.
Pre-made foods have increased in sales and volume steadily since the 1950's, and American health has suffered greatly because of it. Obesity and heart disease are the leading health concerns in this country.


Anonymous wrote:
I know it is rare but some people (referring to me) are too busy to eat. On an average day during a surgery rotation I might have 7 or 8 surgeries. 2 or 3 minor ones in the early morning and then perhaps a 7 hour surgery on someone with an undetermined gastric bleed or colon bleed starting around 10 AM. So I get all scrubbed in and everything and what....I am supposed to tell everyone to stop at noon so I can go eat lunch?


Meta: I suggest you eat whenever you can. Bring some things from home, in small bite sizes.

Anonymous wrote:
All while some guy is bleeding to death on the table. C'mon - some of us have to work for a living


Meta: So, are we to infer that you are a Medical Doctor, (Surgeon) and you work on an Emergency basis?
What kind of Surgery do you specialize in?
I find medicine fascinating.

Anonymous wrote:
- we don't just get salaries to piddle around while posting incessantly on the internet vying for attention to fill the void we lacked as children, such as in the manner that you do.


Meta: Aren't you making a rather large assumption?
True. I am a prolific poster here, however in my line of work I am paid to excel in multi-tasking. Since my typing rate is high, it takes me on average to roughly no less than 10 minutes. Since my day is filled with a lot of wait time, installation, traces, monitoring, security fixes, writing scripts software and building/fixing/administering our company servers. I often have such wait times between tasks. Besides, this forum is one of the ways in which I can relieve work-related stress, as my days are normally 10 to 13 on average, plus I am on call 24-7. An 8 hour 5 day work week is something I have little knowledge of.
So trust me, I am quite under-paid, not the opposite.

Anonymous wrote:
That is part of the reason I only get to post here every now and then instead of constantly throughout the day like it was my main job, Mr. Metablade.


Meta: I am certain that your contributions are well received.
Provided that they are civilized.
You may call me Tom if Metablade seems too pretentious for you.


Anonymous wrote:
I wish I had time to stop and eat - but most days I don't. I also can't keep a bowl of Miso soup in the pocket of my scrubs


Meta: The packaged Miso tends to be high in salt content, but you can keep a tub of low salt Miso in the fridge at work, and all you need are coffee cup and hot water to drink it. Very nutritious and delicious!

Anonymous wrote:
- I might have surgeries in the AM at one hospital and surgeries in the PM at another facility. So I cannot always plan on where I will leave my food in the fridge.


Meta: I sincerely sympathize with your situation. Your life must be extra ordinarily difficult. Luckily, your patients have someone such as yourself to care for them. I would only hope that you do not sacrifice too much in terms of your health. You may be fine now, but as you get older, it will catch up with you.

Anonymous wrote:
Also, even though you refer to me as "scrubs" in your juvenile name calling posts - I take my profession seriously and proudly.


Meta: Of course I meant it in jest. But what troubles me is that if you take such offense to a name like "Scrubs" (which is what a surgeon wears, is it not?) which is posted by someone who does not know you, on an internet forum which is not all that wide-spread, then how are you dealing with the "Real" problems in your life? I find this to be a paradox that you reportedly deal with life or death issues and all of the emotional and stress related impact in your job, yet you take offense and explode with flame rage when someone refers to you as "scrubs".
Just putting that out there, because you might want to examine that.

Anonymous wrote:
I mean hopefully by now it is obvious to everyone how much I dislike you for your ignorant and arrogant and juvenile attitude, and posts


Meta: For what it's worth, I bear no similar ill will towards you. It is truly disheartening to me that you live with such anger in your heart. Though I do not feel it is necessary to apologize for my words, I can apologize for the way that they may have been expressed. True, I have a rather large competitive streak in me, and it does not serve my cause when I take the low road in my arguments.
Thank you for reminding me of it.

Anonymous wrote:
I highly doubt you have accomplished anything close to my list in your life : athletically, financially, the number of successful businesses I have owned/built/sold, the number of college degrees I have - I mean if you have even done half of what I have it would put you far above average. You can call me scrubs if you want - it provides good balance to all the people who have called me such titles as Boss, Sir, Doctor.


Meta: I am not certain how to reply to this, other than to point out that you have no real way of ascertaining if the statement you made is true or not, and for all you know, it isn't. Even in the event that it was, it reveals more regarding your own nature, what's important to you in life, and perhaps most of all, it displays more your own personal mindset rather than mine.
Again, just something to think about.



Anonymous wrote:
2) Again food pre is not the point - any guy can act gay for a few minutes and make some tofu San Fransisco gay banana supreme meal for themselves to choke down - I am sure you are good at that


Meta: Was this an attempt to place me in a weaker light by inferring that I am a Homosexual?
If so, then I guess that would be a compliment, as most of the Gay people I know are smart, clean, creative, articulate, professional, courteous and compassionate.
My only issue with them at all is that they do tend make me laugh by how they speak sometimes, especially if they are a bit flaming or butch.
:lol:

Anonymous wrote:
- but again, for those of us who work for a living, I mean really work


Meta: I assure you, that in my case, my wife and daughter
would have it no other way.

Anonymous wrote:
- who can find the time to take a break and eat. When you are actually doing something necessary for a living, when you are actually engaged in a good cause, when you perform a needed service for people - if you ever get a chance to do something like this - you will find little time to eat.


Meta: I find it ironic that the company I work for produces nationally utilized hospital and laboratory software and systems, so it is probable that you as a surgeon may use now or have used at one time, an application touched in some way by myself or my team. (And just when you thought you were rid of me, 'eh?)
:lol:

Anonymous wrote:

I encourage you to do it - because you will also find it so rewarding that posting on the internet will be something you do every now and then - not constantly like it was your only job, throwing up 30 or more posts a day that regardless of what words are written really are just saying :


Meta: Really? 30 posts a day you say, eh?
Wow. I am really being fairly productive on the forum this year! Honestly, I never really noticed.
What can I say? I like to share.
I suppose if it were really a problem, then I'd have been warned or banned by now.

Anonymous wrote:
notice me, love me, my mommy didn't - please appreciate me.


Meta: Now that's just plain silly.

Anonymous wrote:
3) You imply that the Japanese diet contributes strongly to their life span. This contradicts what you have posted in other areas in which you emphatically state that "doctors" will tell us that diet plays little role in health and life span.


Meta: I think what I wrote was something more similar to:
Any doctor will tell you that diet only plays a significant role for overall health over the life of the patient
In other words, eating chips and hot dogs everyday for 40 years and then suddenly switching to a healthy diet would not have such an impact as:
1, The "diet" industry would have consumers believe
2. Be a "magic bullet" and ticket to good health.

Anonymous wrote:
This is what frustrates me with debating little people such as yourself


Meta:
"Little people?" Little in what way? Insignificant? Lesser in value or esteem? Are you equating human beings to categories of lesser and higher states of value?
Again, as a Doctor yourself, you might want to examine that philosophy. It may, as all personal feelings can, show up in your work one day.

Anonymous wrote:
- winning is so important to your fragile self esteem that you don't care if you are consistent or even if you make a point. I as "scrubs" for one am at least consistent with my message.


Meta: I think it is more accurate to say that I am guilty of "Jousting" more than anything. I admit that I often find it both challenging and strangely amusing sometimes to mix words and opinions and attempt to debate my point.
It's how I learn, and how I get better. By testing the limits of both my abilities and others. It can have mixed results, as you can see.

Anonymous wrote:
- I at least have a real identity because I know what I am talking about and speak from that knowledge.


Meta: I assure you, I am many things, but a person who does not know who I am, is not one of them.
~What's more, I'm Ok with it.

Anonymous wrote:
If I was just seeking attention, and to try to impress someone with my ability to tear down.



Meta: I wonder if this isn't a bit of projection on your part.
I feel my arguments for the most part, were rather sound, and reasonable.



Anonymous wrote:
But I need to point out you have clearly stated elsewhere that "doctors" will tell us diet plays a minor role in health - and yet here imply that the Japanese diet is the mainstay or Japanese longevity.


Meta: Again, I clarified this point. In my own case, I have always eaten a Japanese diet. Therefore, over my lifetime, I can expect to have reasonably good health because I consistently maintained it.
My last physical contoured with my understanding with this regard.

Anonymous wrote:
I am sure these lapses of consistency are missed as you sit and commiserate with the other prairie dog employees where you work when you take a break from your little cubicles.


Meta: i thought that I didn't work at all? :lol:
But seriously, I don't have a cubicle, and even to those who do, are you saying that they are likened to "animals" and in this case, vermin?
Is that what you think of anyone who works in a cubicle?
I must say Doctor, I am rather shocked.
8O

In any event, i hope you stay and contribute here on the forums, and I wish you well in all that you do.
If in the future an issue comes up which you and I disagree, I'll try to be more civil, and definitely I'll refrain from using the word "scrubs" to describe you."
It apparently drives you quite mad.

_________________
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:16 am
Posts: 2758
Location: Boston
I'm going to call FAKE, pending further information, the healthcare credentials of the individual posting as GUEST.

Surgeons RARELY perform surgery for bleeding stomachs and colons. This work is done by endoscopists of the gastroenterology division. Very, very rarely, someone has a lower GI bleed that is severe and won't stop on it's own, and that person may need a surgeon or more often these days at some centers, interventional radiology to embolize the bleeding vessel. The far larger bulk of general surgery work would be hernia repair, gallbladder removals, colectomies for cancer, abscesses and wound care, and so on.

Neither do I see a self respecting surgeon spouting

"I highly doubt you have accomplished anything close to my list in your life : athletically, financially, the number of successfull businesses I have owned/built/sold, the number of college degrees I have - I mean if you have even done half of what I have it would put you far above average. You can call me scrubs if you want - it provides good balance to all the people who have called me such titles as Boss, Sir, Doctor"

just because someone called him scrubs, but, I've been wrong before. Why does he have so many "college" degrees? He sold MULTIPLE successful businesses and then went into general surgery (to make less money probably)?

And:

"2) Again food pre is not the point - any guy can act gay for a few minutes and make some tofu San Fransisco gay banana supreme meal for themselves to choke down - I am sure you are good at that."

THAT'S a thinking physician's response to a scientific debate? If you'll excuse me, I have a San Fran gay banana supreme waiting for me downstairs... :roll:

_________________
--Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group