What is the best spyware remover?

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

I have a nasty crap thing on my computer that hijacks my home page.

I have no idea why these idiots think I would ever deal with the underhanded companies connected to such scum.

Can anyone direct me to the best program to kill this crap.

Post by Guest »

Rick this is the only one I use, Norton doesn't like it so you might have to unplug from the net and shut down norton..depends on version and how it's configuired but this lava soft catches a few bugs.

http://www.adwareremovergold.com/?revid=1286&s=1
Uechij

Post by Uechij »

Hi Rick,

Try this,

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

It's a program called Spybot. It's pretty good and it's free. Set it up and update it, then scan. If it doesn't work then you probably have a more serious problem which can be corrected with a program called "Hijack This". You can do a search for it on google, it's free and very powerful, so be careful what you remove. If you are in doubt of what to remove, PM me a copy and paste of what "Hijack This" finds and I can help you walk through it. If your browser is hijacked by About:blank, you will probably need this program. Good luck and keep me posted.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Yes it is that About:blank that has hyjacked my system.

My other issue is how do you purchase a spyware cleaner off the internet when you have spyware on your system. Wouldn't the spyware pick up your credit card input?

Thanks for all the advise byt he way!!!
RobM

Very Nasty Spyware!

Post by RobM »

I've found that once this About-Blank is on your system it is almost impossible to get rid of. It has hidden files that change each time you boot up. You can use the Spyware removal programs to get rid of it once you're up and running but the next time you boot up, "I'm Back". Try this site for technical help on viruses and other bugs: www.discussions.virtuladr.com. Hope this helps. Rob
Rob Masse
RobM

Try this one Rick. Misspelled the last one.

Post by RobM »

discussions.virtualdr.com
Rob Masse
RobM

About-Blank

Post by RobM »

I really believe these folks could benefit from some NLD training with all the fine people in your school. Maybe even through in a few pointy things !
Rob Masse
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

I am with you Rob. Many pointy things required. :twisted:

I turned this all over to my wizard daughter who combined the use of about four or more Spyware cleaners, advice from various forums etc and after three hours last night and three hours tonight she finally (we hope) has it killed.

“Adware Away” was the biggest help.

We also used:

Spyware Doctor, Spybot, Hyjack This, About-Buster, CWShredder and a registry editor Registrar Lite.

One thing she found was that the registry editor was adjusted so that the user could not make adjustments – this means the spyware cleaners wanted to delete from the registry but the user authorization prevented it. Only by adjusting the user control to “full control” allowed them to really kick in and do what they should do.

We also found out there are (currently) five versions of this thing and we somehow ended up with two!

I would never have been able tot do this, thank you my wonderful daughter.

Also a big thank you for everyone who provided advice!! :D
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

This Freeware (spyblaster) runs in the background and so far seems to prevent the worst of the syware from loading.
My biggest "hijacker" has been my boys, new system and they never let the keys get cold so my ability to go online is limited to washroom breaks and late nights :wink:
Léo
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Ive found ad-aware from Lavasoft.com for keeping an eye on spyware

Post by Guest »

thats what I use as well. no problems...yet :snipersmile:
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Laird:

“Rick this is the only one I use, Norton doesn't like it so you might have to unplug from the net and shut down norton..depends on version and how it's configuired but this lava soft catches a few bugs.

http://www.adwareremovergold.com/?revid=1286&s=1

Spyware doctor says this program actually loads crap on your system if you even load the free scan version.

Unfortunately I had already done so (that is why spyware doctor picked it up) and I ended up with all kinds of crap including that damn About:blank thing again.

I recommend no one load this thing on their computer.
benzocaine

Spy Sweeper

Post by benzocaine »

CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

It has removed stuff that my Norton antivirus didn't even detect.

I just tried it and it is impressive, found a trojan missed by my McAfee along with plenty of missed spyware. Very user friendly and lets you know the implications of removing any spyware tied in with Kazaa etc...also prevents hijacking or changes by any spyware. Best I have seen yet and plan on buying soon as free trail runs out. Thanks for pointing it out benzocaine.
Léo

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”