thinking of buying a Dell??????? Beware

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Raffi Derderian

thinking of buying a Dell??????? Beware

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Hi all,
I have been posting on every website I frequent to warn about Dell computers. I have had one for two years and have to say they are the WORST in the area of customer service. I mean completly incompetent. I spent four months trying to get a replacement DVD drive. I had to replace the hard drive. I expanded the RAM a few months ago (had no choice but to buy it from them) and for two months I have been getting daily calls because they haven't received a payment. Well, I have been telling them for two months they never sent me a statement or bill. I have given them my address at least a dozen times. They said they removed late fees. I finally got a statement from them today and of course, there are two months worth of late fees on it.
Just the worst company I have ever dealt with.
Raf
RobM

Dell

Post by RobM »

Amen. After nothing but Gateway I too, for some reason I still cannot fathom, bought a Dell. Called them and described what I would be using the computer for and bought their system recommended by the sales associate. Needless to say, the computer does not perform as promised. My problem was in video. Called back and was told I could purchase a new video card that would solve the problem. I said "I already have a new video card that came with the machine". Their response: "Sorry". Back to Gateway for me.

ps: anyone want to buy a "new" Dell computer?
Rob Masse

Post by Guest »

I've bought two Dells, I've been pleased with how they have stood by the machines, how they have treated me as a customer and the machines have functioned.

Set up and installation was simple!

My first machine 5 or 6 years back had dvd issues. 1st generation DVD drive. The help line couldn't assist me in getting it working, solution they sent a tech from Calgary to instal a new one. (3 hour drive)

When the system still failed to function properly Dell sent me an entire new system, Everything right down to speakers and keyboard. The new system worked fine and still does. I've installed a different operating system, a larger hard drive and more ram. this old clunker is better than what my kids use at school.

My most recent machine purchased this spring is great! It handles video easily. I fried the hard drive one day when I unplugged the machine while it was running and plugged it back in again. Totally my fault.

Dell sent me a new hard drive and cables. They offered to send a tech from the city to install and attempt data recovery from the old drive. I declined and did it myself for the learning experience.

I figure Dell looks after there customers very well. If my car dealership look after me like this I'd by another Chrysler (I won't) I will purchase another Dell computer when the kids can no longer get buy sharing one.

I think Dell Rocks! Sorry you guys haven't had good experiences.

Laird
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Must be Dell in Canada because I have had great service too.
Deep Sea

Dellicious Dull Dead Dell Smell

Post by Deep Sea »

Raf:

Both Dell and Gateway ("nothing but Gateway") are the two worlds most popular computers. While I'd never buy either brand, over the years as a consultant I've been in the company of thousands of them and have heard very little in the way of complaints.

However, a way people have gotten satisfaction action against customer service sleazy incidents is to think outside the box and report their dissatifaction to pcworld, pcmagazine., and other major pc publications.

email-off your complaints and maybe Dell will be contacting you.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

The way to get satisfaction from any company is to climb as high up the ladder as possible.
Get the supervisor of customer service.
Then his boss, then his.
You go up high enough and they won't want to bother with you and will do anything to get rid of you.
Also middle to upper level management simply don't know how to deal with customers. So they make them happy.

Have fun climbing, look at it as a sparring match.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
2Green

Post by 2Green »

I'm an HP guy myself. Their 24/7 tech service is awesome.

I had a problem with my Pavilion and actually took it to the local warranty shop. They couldn't find the problem, and they had the computer ON THEIR BENCH.
So I phoned HP support and the guy analyzed the problem OVER THE PHONE, told me what to do and he was 100% correct!

HP owns Compaq/iPaq now as well.

NM
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

All 3 of my computers are Sony Vaio's. Can't say anything about their customer service because I have never had to call them.

Great machines. All the video work done in the video section and on the DVD's were done on the last 2 machines. 500MHz and my curent 2.8 GHz.

Dell was always known to have great customer service until recently when they moved most of there CS to India.

I won't own a Dell because they are not too bright as of late as far as what they are using. Their printers must have ink purchased through them and there DVD writers are all +R's only. Sony uses ±R's.

But hey, you use the machine for what you need them for. And yes, Sony's are a little pricey but I bought all 3 of mine as floor models from PC Richards (In NY metro area). Saved approx $300 on each machine. I'd recommend them to anybody wanting to do serious video work.

Scott
neeko

Post by neeko »

Dells and gateways ...... errr, learn about it. buy the stuff and build ya own system. then ya know what your doin.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”