History & Baggage

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Do you think that GEM and Van have a serious conflict in their history on these forums that has resulted in unproductive "baggage" that as site owner (GEM) and moderator (Van), they need to resolve for the good of the forums?

Strongly Agree
56%
Agree
No votes
Neutral
11%
Disagree
22%
Strongly Disagree
11%

Total votes: 9

Oldfist

History & Baggage

Post by Oldfist »

Poll Question: Do you think that GEM and Van have a serious conflict in their history on these forums that has resulted in unproductive "baggage" that as site owner (GEM) and moderator (Van), they need to resolve for the good of the forums?

My answer to the poll question is "obviously yes," and if you were to take a random person browsing on the Internet who came upon these forums and accidently read the Tag Lines Discussion thread, I've got $20 that says that the probability that they would agree with me is (conservatively) at least 0.9. :D

So, let's get the whole browsing silent majority of over 2000 registered users involved and voting on this poll! It's important that your voices be heard if we are going to make these forums a better place for everyone.

Thanks for your participation,

John

P.S. For some reason the poll did not appear ??
Last edited by Oldfist on Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

John,

Sent you a PM.

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Oldfist

Heads Up/Warning

Post by Oldfist »

I want to keep this thread as clean as possible regarding clear thought and civility. That being said, I am going to take a servere stand on unfriendly, rude, and disrespectful behavior.

If I feel that a poster on this thread has violated this constraint, I won't give a warning but will merely delete the post. So, be very careful and thoughtful before you submit your post. Please err on the side of conservative, polite, respectful comments, giving other posters the maximum benefit of the doubt.

Absolutely do not bait or challenge anyone in an unfriendly way that can be viewed as escalating negative feelings or unproductive conflict.

Don't publicly give your opinion on how the VSD should be moderated. I am the only moderator here.

I want the silent majority of forum members to feel comfortable voicing their opinion without feeling like they will be attacked by some aggressive and unfriendly forum member. So, all of you quiet forum members out there please help us with your thoughts. I've got your back! :D

Thanks for your cooperation,
John
Oldfist

Poll is now set up and working.

Post by Oldfist »

Please let us know your opinion on this question. You don't have to post a message to vote, but you do have to sign in.

Thanks!
John
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Let me preface my reply to this post by stating that I have nothing but the highest respect for George and Van. Van was my first teacher and after some drifting about, I was fortunate enough to get back under his wing as my final teacher. My thanks go to George for introducing the US to Uechi Ryu and giving me the opportunity to train at the Hut after leaving a teacher who had blinders on when it came to the rest of the Uechi world. George was kind enough to invite me to join his newly found MA forum in a phone conversation way back when and I was the first to join this wonderful arena.

That being said..about conflict. I've read the back and forth posts and having studied a bit about conflict management, don't believe there's a serious conflict. Sure there's disagreement, two very intelligent and experience men have studied the same philosophies and have arrived at different conclusions about the benefit and science behind the techniques. That happens in every field.

I've seen real conflict on these pages where over time fast friends have told each other to basically screw! Even in those cases, the forum has continued to move forward with new posters, new ideas, and intelligent debate.

There's nothing wrong with conflict. It give people like me a chance to read the opposing views of the best of the best and make up my own mind. I hope it does the same for others here.

Best regards,

Kevin
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

My answer to the poll question is " obviously yes ," and if you were to take a random person browsing on the Internet who came upon these forums and accidently read the Tag Lines Discussion thread, I've got $20 that says that the probability that they would agree with me is (conservatively) at least 0.9.
Being both lurker and poster I must disagree. seems like your looking for a yes, just an observation. May sway poll for that
$ 20 (USA funds I hope)
Anyway, I always enjoyed the exchanges between Van & GEM as they still come across showing respect for each other. Both are free thinkers and they do very well considering how long they have known each other. In the MA it is not always the case that a student/instructor bond develops like we have seen with these individuals. They at times seem to be sitting on different branches but I am willing to bet ($20 Canadian lol) they helped each other up that tree and neither wants the other to fall.
Léo
Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

Kevin and Leo, thanks for posting your thoughts!
[b]CANDANeh[/b] wrote:
[b]Oldfist[/b] wrote:My answer to the poll question is " obviously yes ," and if you were to take a random person browsing on the Internet who came upon these forums and accidently read the Tag Lines Discussion thread, I've got $20 that says that the probability that they would agree with me is (conservatively) at least 0.9.
Being both lurker and poster I must disagree. seems like your looking for a yes, just an observation. May sway poll for that $ 20 (USA funds I hope)
Sorry, no, that wasn't my intention. This thread was in response to this question on another thread. I am making a claim here that could be tested, but we certainly aren't doing it with this not very scientifically constructed poll. So, please don't be confused by this poll, which just ellicits a response from posters who visit this forum and as such are not randomly choosen in the way I described above. So, no, folks I don't plan on paying up no matter what the results of this unscientific poll. :D

John

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”