Thoughts of an old warrior

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

Thoughts of an old warrior

Post by mikemurphy »

While sitting here doing nothing in particular, I began to think of the last time I had a chance to work with O-sensei Philip Porter of the late USJA and now of the USMAA. Sensei Porter is the Father of American Judo for those of you who do not know him. BUT.... he is also one of the more controversial men in martial arts in the 20th and 21st century. Why? Because he is all about the money. Everything about rank and teaching has a price tag attached to it. But you know what? Having that knowledge of him doesn't bother me so much because I know that going into a seminar with him. I know for those 4+ hrs he's going to give me everything he has. He holds nothing back and gets on the mats with us, even at the ripe young age of 80 years old.

Money aside, having the priviledge to work with this man is something I will never forget. Unlike many of the "living legends" that are still with us, he still gets in there and works with his students. Here is a man who can tell a story about the "good old days" and then show it to you. How rare is it today to get that? A venerable old veteran who is no hypocrite and lives and respects the principles of others. He doesn't care what affiliation you belong to, what religion you practice, what part of the country you come from, or what your educational level is. He is the real thing.

SO.... next time you are talking to those who have "done it all" in their martial arts career and are living on their reputation alone, and seem to make the rules as they go along, think of people like Philip Porter sensei who doesn't give a sh** and still goes out and proves himself day after day. This guy will probably die out on the mat. Hate to see him go, but where else would you want to be!

mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,
I missed his tour last year.
One of us should host him this year.
He's all about the money but you get more for your money than from most.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

At least he`s honest and up front about it , nothing wrong with that IMHO

if you dont feel he`s worth it dont go .

sounds fairly reputable by me
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Stryke,
How can someone not respect an 80 year old guy who will get down on the mat and get a submission on you?

Mcdojo's charge $120 dollars a month and don't have a a tenth of this guys knowledge.

I go to a $20 class and leave with so much good stuff my head is spinning.

You ever see him up that way get on over to his class.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Point is that Porter sensei doesn't live by his reputation. He's not a hypocrite. He walks the walk shall we say. How many old time instructors do you know that are like that? How many have kept their principles or even had any to begin with? Furthermore, how many respect the principles of others? Don't you wish we had more of those! They are indeed a rare breed.

mike
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Sounds like an incredible guy , theres a hell of a lot of guys who wont get out and show there stuff .

must be a treasure to train with , heck whats a few bucks anyhow

These sorts are the folks you want to train with , share there knowledge and screw the politics ... talk about a learning curve .
robb buckland

Living up to "The Standard"

Post by robb buckland »

"..... How many old time instructors do you know that are like that? How many have kept their principles or even had any to begin with? Furthermore, how many respect the principles of others? Don't you wish we had more of those! They are indeed a rare breed. .........."

Lets hope time in grade seperates the real masters from the Lil O' Senseis :lol: :lol: .........
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Halford

Post by Halford »

Phil Porter, 'O-SENSEI',stands on the shoulders of a great many judo pioneers who aided in the 'fathering' of American Judo, and you really should read a bit on this remarkable history,which also includes jujutsu,of course, and matches of such with boxers and wrestlers,etc. Yes, the benefits of judo can be seen in Phil Porter's life. He is married, by the way, to a Filipina now. Yes, be sure to learn as much as you can from him or from Wally Jay or any of the 'oldtimers' who actually, when they step out on the mat, seem to be much more agile and younger than those attending the demos and workshops,etc.

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”