101 uses for a sokusen...

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Amen Tony.

If we all just sat around and agreed with each other on everything we might as well play parcheesee.
:mrgreen: :lol:

PS:
Why is this emoticon "lying"? :lying:
Did you show compassion today?

Post by Guest »

Dana Sheets wrote: PS:
Why is this emoticon "lying"? :lying:
Because it doesn't show the other side... the inside.. the serial killer that lurks within...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hey Tony...

No blood, no foul.

The way I see it, you've got maybe a half dozen recipients of a phantom insult ready to prove you wrong about their level of fitness. If it means they work harder and bust their butt on the fitness challenge this weekend, it's all good. 8)

You're an inspiration and don't even know it! :lol:

- Bill

Post by Guest »

yeah, OK, BLAME IT ON ME!

I hope GEM has arranged for a medic to be on site. There may be some people out there pushing themselves beyond their means based on stories of walking on tea cups and holding wood against the winds of a typhoon! I 1/2 mile in the summer heat may be enough to shatter that illusion and do them in permanently!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yea yea, keep it up, Tony!

Watch out! Our Uechi tough guys are about to whoop some serious bootie!

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Please vote on the toe poll and express your approach to toe kicks. (BTW if you think it needs another category - let me know.)

Post by Guest »

Hey Bill, how did you manage to rope me into the dirty job of being the firebreathing tiger competition Naysayer anyway? I thought I had made positive comments about it elsewhere.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

And how did this thread end up talking about everything except sokusen use?

Now that we've given air time to the side issues. How do you (if you use them) use the darn things?

toes to groin
toes to inner thigh
toes to inner shin
toes to back of knee

I know in Shinjo's dojo they train toe round house kicks to the temple. The rationale being that if you can toe kick the temple you can also toe kick anything below it. Of course Shinjo was helped by the fact that he was nearly a foot taller than almost any other Okinawan in his generation, had a serious task-master of a father for a teacher and was made to fight drunken servicemen as a youth to set his resolve. But I digress...

One interesting thing I learned at a McCarthy seminar was that if you've gotten someone into an arm bar in front of you (the kind where you're holding their wrist and pushing on their elbow or base of the tricep then you can throw a kick with your toes pointed - that angles your leg the right way so that your shin connects with their nose.

So from this image - which is a little off because it is ude gatame and I was looking for the one where the receiver's (the one not being locked) forearm would be pressing on the back of the attacker's arm. Anyway - if the receiver had finished in a bit more of a squared up stance - would be able to throw the shin kick across the face of his attacker.

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Aha - more like this. Still not the lock I was looking for, but the body positioning is correct:
http://www.budo.dzaba.com/Brckoseminar2.JPG

maybe this image will link:
Last edited by Dana Sheets on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I was very surprised when PM showed us the Forbidden Remote Linking technique as it's very deadly. :D
I was dreaming of the past...
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

See - there are karate secrets! And we protect them by banning outside linking!!!
AE Moores

Post by AE Moores »

Tony,
How's my favorite summer camp roommate? It's been awhile. I hope all is well with you and your family. Did you ever get those sparring gloves you were looking for after we roomed together? Yeah I know, random fact to remember.

I don't get on the forums too often, but I saw your mention of us and thought I'd pop in.

What's that old saying?... "perception is reality." It's so true. We've trained with Sensei Ron Fagan, "that shotokan tournament guy," for many years now and all of about 5% of our training has been anything to do with tournaments. We work kihon, kata, basic human mechanics, but everyone in the Uechi world only know him for his tournament training.

You want 101 drills to work your front kick or roundhouse kick, give him a call. Some may say that he's not Uechi so he wont be teaching you Uechi front kick etc... who cares. A good front kick is a good front kick.... a good roundhouse kick is a good rounhouse kick. There are only so many ways the human body can move. To me that is where style becomes irrelevant. Ok jumping off my soap box now.

Again, Tony I hope all is well. Keep training and hopefully our paths will cross soon.

Osu,
Andrew
Shugyo Training Camp
www.atlantickarate.com
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Arm bars are a main tool for me. I learned the arm lock and shin kick the guys head combo from a guy with some Hwarangdo training. The method which one of my friends uses pointy things is to use a lock and stabilize the opponent and then apply the pointy thing to the appropriate target. Of course you also have to get good at closing and setting the opponet up for the lock, but the method seems to make sense given the size of the weapon and the size of the target.
I was dreaming of the past...

Post by Guest »

AE Moores wrote:years now and all of about 5% of our training has been anything to do with tournaments. We work kihon, kata, basic human mechanics, but everyone in the Uechi world only know him for his tournament training.
Hi Andrew, thanks for chiming in. It's been a long time so forgive me for not remembering Ron Sensei's name. If you'll remember, I flew up there to attend you guys pre-tourney sparring seminar with Gary K and your Sensei Steven Perry. I thouroughly enjoyed this seminar and at the time, it was exactley what I needed. But as you said, no one where I trained was interested in what I brought back from New England because, well... "Thats not Uechi". Your guys training regiment had a tremendous impact on me and I ultimately gravitated towards a similiar method of training.

Of course, once I got those gloves you reccomended, it was all over!!!!!! :D

I still have that pair and man, they served me well... they are about ragged out now but I still put them on once in a while and go at it with my buddies on Saturday mornings.

Please give your Sensei my regards and also my thanks for helping me push my karate training into a more positive direction.

Take care!
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Oh my word. I've never seen anyone make a sokusen this way. I'm going to have to modify the poll to include folded down.

source:
http://www.traditionaluechi-ryu.com/sokusen.htm

Return to “Kihon (basic training drills)”