Masters

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.

Post by Guest »

Stryke wrote:Folks ive trained with always said I needed to be in a padded room ... Now I understand !!!! :D

as long as that middle finger gesture still means i`m number 1 8)
Thats 'cause yer a wild man hoss!!!!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

check out my new Gi !!! , getting ready fer Canader !! eh !! 8) :lol:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I live in my own place have never copied nobody even half, and at any master who lacks the grace to laugh at himself - I laugh. - inscribed over the door to Friedrich Nietzsche's house

“Mastery.- We have reached mastery when we neither mistake nor hesitate in the achievement.”
Back on track
2Green

Post by 2Green »

This has been a long and very insightful thread to me.

Here's how I would recognize a "master" in the martial arts:

1: Humility. True, not false humility. "As soon as you THINK you're being humble, you're not!" (Quoter unknown.) But the point is that false humility is really just a kind of self-glorification. It's a prop used by wannabe's to promote their image, and they've seen that many advanced seniors have REAL humility, so they just copy the surface of it but without anything to back it up.

2: Real masters don't demand the title, we covered this earlier. The real Masters probably don't even think of themselves as masters. They probably just think they are cursed by being surrounded by perpetual slow learners.

3: Real Masters have not only deep insights into what they have learned, but also the ability to DEMONSTRATE and TEACH it.
They do this without any attitude of superiority or need for deference. They are just enthusiastic to show you some really cool stuff, like David Mott for example.
These are people who have INTERNALIZED and ANALYZED what they have learned, and therefore are able to introduce it to a neophyte with genuine enthuiasm, even though it's "only" for example, Kyu Kumite.
You get a whole different reward from such "mundane" material when learning it from a Master.

4:Real Masters are people you can talk to. They are cognitive human beings who are aware of their own power and also aware of the needs, real or imagined, of their students, and they have a plan for the training which addresses this. They are the opposite of unapproachable, and probably enjoy a nice chat about completely unrelated topics, but you may notice that a MA mindset pervades the chat anyway. (That's good!)

BTW, it's exactly the same in the musical world. All the real BIG stars behave like basic nice human beings, and all the rest bear "anatomical references" if you get my drift.

2G
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

:D

Post by Guest »

check out my new Gi !!! , getting ready fer Canader !! eh !!
Whats with the skunkape in the tutu mate. Ye best be sporting more than that around your middle mate or you just might freeze your tools. Damn offshore chippies they don't know anything. :wink:

In January growing hair is good mate, exposed flesh is not.

Can't wait for your sanchin on the ice. :? Those shotokan sweeps will be handy skills on these streets! The challenge is to stay rooted long enough to land one!

BTW there's two h's in ehh! :roll: Kwi's they sound like pohm's when they talk :lol:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I`l start growing the beard out now mate ... should look the part In Hawaii !!! :lol:

Post by Guest »

Here Marcus, let me give you something that will help..

Post by Guest »

Stryke wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I`l start growing the beard out now mate ... should look the part In Hawaii !!! :lol:
I've had a womb-broom for years bro.... chicks dig it!
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

jorvik wrote: Well I've just started at a Wing Chun school, and it was quite a surprise. it was only basic movements of the form followed by Chi-sau, emphasis was on being soft and economical....
Jorvik wondering what kind of chi sao?

Two handed moving chi sao (luk sao/poon sao) normally starts around lesson number 120 or so..sort of like green belt level in karate.

Normally the first class involves covering the basic punch and the first third of the first form..

Did he skip over some of the things you had trained before..?

Personally, I like to start at the beginning with a new student and at least review the material the new student claims to have covered. Almost always tweaks are needed.
jorvik wrote: The real surprise was the sifu, apart from the fact that he was a little over 5ft and must of weighed about 80lbs.he was blind.
That sounds very good so long as the Sifu is able to verify your performance through feel and other feedback accurately.

jorvik wrote: a guy who was about 6ft 2 and in peak physical condition.......and the little blind Sifu bounced him around like a ball :lol:
As he should... Sounds good.. :D

jorvik wrote: the little blind sifu has been to Hong Kong and trained with the Ip family and his sifu was taught directly by them .but his real name is in doing Chi-Kung.......I'll keep you posted on how I go :wink:
You mean taught by Ip Man's son(s) I assume?

Actually, if I am not mistaken, I believe there was a Ip Chun or Ip Ching connection to Leung Ting who purportedly did not train, much if at all under Ip Man and may have faked some photos to suggest otherwise..

All sounds very interesting.. I may start another thread on a related subject..
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Yeah Tony , Ive had mine fer years , just thinking of letting it go for insulation :roll:

I've had a womb-broom for years bro.... chicks dig it!
I`d have to agree , although for me it`s a disguise , wouldnt get anything done if they new how handsome I was underneath :lol: :lol: :?

Post by Guest »

Stryke wrote: I`d have to agree , although for me it`s a disguise , wouldnt get anything done if they new how handsome I was underneath :lol: :lol: :?
I know man.. it's such a burden, being good lookin'..... :wink:
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Yeah it was one of the sons but his sifu Michael Tse is Chinese and lived in Hong Kong, he has got access to quite a lot of the old Chinese sifu in mainland China.especially in Chi-Kung..Yeah I've heard that tale as well about leung ting ( I don't have a very high regard for him...)

basically he did show me the first part of the form.which I know all ready.he also showed me one of the first exercises ( I'm not too sure of all the Chinese names :oops: ) I think the exercise was from fak sau to a palm heel then to Bong Sau..I get fak?? and Tan and pak mixed up ..............the Chi-sau that I did was pre arranged stuff and more to show me the way of WC and their thought process...although the other two guys launched right into freestyle........I asked the Chinese guy how long he had done it and what he had learned, he said he'd been there about a year and knew the first form and half of the second form and some Chi-Sau.he'd just come back from a week long Chi-Sau residential course.where they had practiced Chi Sau from 9 am till 11 pm every day!!

so it's looking hopeful :D
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

jorvik wrote: basically he did show me the first part of the form.which I know all ready.he also showed me one of the first exercises ( I'm not too sure of all the Chinese names :oops: ) I think the exercise was from fak sau to a palm heel then to Bong Sau..I get fak?? and Tan and pak mixed up ..............the Chi-sau that I did was pre arranged stuff
Sounds like Dan Chi Sao... Where one person goes through a Tan (palm up) to palm strike, and the other person goes from fook (fox paw) to jut sao (jerking hand) to dissolve the palm, then the fook person after jutting punches and the palm person bongs to dissolve the punch... and the cycle repeats, over and over (yawn) again... I actually hated this phase of training cause it was so canned, like 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc.. I could eat a tuna sandwich with the other hand while doing that; :lol: still it's an important phase of early training.. as are the slap punch drill pak sao/da and lop sao drills.
jorvik wrote: he'd just come back from a week long Chi-Sau residential course.where they had practiced Chi Sau from 9 am till 11 pm every day!!
Yup, loads of fun, especially when you have really talented people to work with. At the peak of my WCK training on Saturdays we used to train chi sao etc from around 10:00am until they kicked us out at around 11:00pm or later if our dai-sihing was there..and then we'd hit the streets of Chinatown and go out afterward with the boys..

Those were THE days.. Need more of them.. :cry:

jorvik wrote: so it's looking hopeful :D
It sure does sound like it Jorvik, I'm very excited for you!! Maybe we'll get to chi sao one of these days!! :) Keep us updated!!
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Hi jim
Yeah maybe we can Chi-sau some day :)
What I'm hoping is that the chineses Guy is local, if he is once I get some practice in I'll try and see if he wants to do some extra training ...............the Sifu is expensive, but he travels 30 miles by train to teach in my area and there are only two pupils.and he doesn't seem to advertise so maybe it's not really a commercial venture...............he teaches a Chi-kung class before the WC and he also does Chen style TC but doesn't teach it.he said another guy from his school may come down and teach in our area....I've seen a few WC guys do Chen style, maybe they compliment each other. Anyway only another 4 days to my next class :lol:

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”