LV-kick

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
JimHawkins

Re: very good observation

Post by JimHawkins »

I wouldn't say that what he did felt like a push or a shove, it felt more like an explosion. I would imagine that if he did the same thing with some momentum (as in a strike) that the effect would have been quite unpleasant (for me ;-) ). Anyhow, I wonder if this LV kick isn't kind of like this guys "push". Using great body mechanics, he created an explosive impact with no wind up. But with the extra momentum it would be much more devastating.

Anyhow, if this has nothing to do with the LV-kick...

I think your right on (can`t be sure as haven`t experienced 'LV" kick)
Compression is a great deal of what I think you felt
What's the mystery? :?

That's what you get when you have body alignment and fajing...
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
2Green

Post by 2Green »

..."That's what you get when you have body alignment and fajing..."

..without any distance or speed to generate conventional impact force. This to me was the mind-blowing part, I had never seen this before.
Obviously a few of you have, and know this technique quite well, as I suspected.

As to my initial question when I started the thread, I was looking for any insights or specific training techniques that "got you there" in terms of doing this type of kick.
I'm just trying to learn it now.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Asteer:
Yes your experience is also familiar to me, in terms of hand strikes. I too have felt the effects of high energy transfer into my body with very little apparent motion on the part of the one delivering it.
Scary. Back-popping. Breath-depriving. Gut-shocking.
You nailed the concept exactly.

However, I had never seen this done via a kick. This was something totally new to me, and that's what generated the question (physics sidetracking aside...).
I had never had someone simply "place" their foot on me (quickly!) and THEN generate that kind of penetrating power.
There was very little energy from velocity of the foot, they just placed it on my body very quickly.
It was a microsecond AFTER the placement that the real "delivery" took place. This was new to me, and led to the query on this thread.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Spike

Why hasn't anyone posted a clip of this kick yet?

Post by Spike »

"The "wrist block" sequence in the Hojo Undo (Konchin) demonstrates this very effectively. If Richard "Spike" reads this please feel free to chime in as we often work this type of "push" together in class. "

If I'm on the same page as all of you, the 'push' is mostly good body mechanics (or positioning as some refer to it) and weight distribution, the end result being the fairly efficient transfer of energy from you to the receiver. Or at least this is what I gather from these exercises at this point in time. (get the most power, in the least amount of time, with the least effort?)

Haha, or maybe i'm just tired and need to go to sleep ;)
Spike

Post this LV kick?

Post by Spike »

:? I'm still skeptical on this kick being low velocity (i'm assuming low velocity is pretty much slow speed) and still having as good an energy transfer as some are trying to explain (Unless you guys are like 300+ pounds of muscle...then that would explain a lot :D )

Anyone willing to post a vid?

Post by Guest »

I would really like to see this thing... at least some digital pics...
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

The Bronze Dago wrote:I would really like to see this thing... at least some digital pics...
I`d really like to be on receiving end
Léo

Post by Guest »

I dunno... from the way it sounds, it might do something to your DNA...

you go first!!! :lol:
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Sounds more like a demo of alignment rather than a technique used in sparring or fighting.. You can do the same thing with a plain vanilla karate front kick done with the ball of the foot - "place it" on the other guys tummy and "sneeze" with your hip alignment - bang.

As Rick had alluded, in close range it sounds like jam city, kicks are hard enough to get off during entry IMO let alone these kinds of kicks which again IMO are best used as we do in WCK training, where low kicks are used for clash and control and/or to destroy from the inside.. Body alignment and fajing are concepts better applied and explored on the inside with the hands, elbows, etc., IMO.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Spike

Still waiting for the vid...

Post by Spike »

"I`d really like to be on receiving end"

:lol:

"You can do the same thing with a plain vanilla karate front kick done with the ball of the foot - "place it" on the other guys tummy and "sneeze" with your hip alignment - bang."

Jim, I'm thinking it's like that. Kind of like when you are using compression with your hands intight...just with your feet. A 'sneeze' is also a good way to define it, kind of like a jolt at the last second.
gmattson
Site Admin

The Uechi front kick...

Post by gmattson »

I'll post a clip of how I teach this kick after my Sunday class. I didn't realize it had a special name, as I've been doing this way (I'll show you Sunday) for many years. Not only is is fast and powerful, there is no joint trauma, as is often the case with more conventional kicks.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Asteer

Post by Asteer »

JimHawkins wrote:Sounds more like a demo of alignment rather than a technique used in sparring or fighting.. You can do the same thing with a plain vanilla karate front kick done with the ball of the foot - "place it" on the other guys tummy and "sneeze" with your hip alignment - bang.
Hah! My Sensei did that to me once to demonstrate a point about front kicks. He barely moved (more like a twitch), I thought my large intestine may have burst... 8O
Spike

Re: The Uechi front kick...

Post by Spike »

gmattson wrote:I'll post a clip of how I teach this kick after my Sunday class. I didn't realize it had a special name, as I've been doing this way (I'll show you Sunday) for many years. Not only is is fast and powerful, there is no joint trauma, as is often the case with more conventional kicks.
I look forward to it, as I've heard about it before. But seeing is believing 8)

Thank you in advance

-Richard
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Still having problems and unable to load video. :evil:

Return to “Fighting Drills”