Uechi's contribution...

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

AAAhmed46 wrote: Do guys really just stand in sanchin and move straight? How does sanchin make you open? Its really closed, and covers the face and body? How?
Hmmmm, hmmmm,

Yes it makes you think...

To me it should be alive, the circle steps should take you off the line, AND IN; The elbows should be in the center, the hands ready to fire those two little side palms that sit there..and then stick, clear..and attack... It should be alive, explosive and unlike the form the hands should move with the feet....

I know I know...BUT############UECHI!
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I agree Jim , but i`m not Uechi

Post by Guest »

Uechi can go forward!!!!! 8O
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

it can !!! :D , will you show us that Laird it`d be neato !!!
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Hey laird, everything rick teaches me is to cover up cover up.

So what are they talking about?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Efficeincy , its not that you cant cover up with Uechi !!! theres just got to be reasons why you cover that way ....

and to be fair Rick pedals the good stuff 8)

It`s all only opinion , i`m sure theres hundreds of Uechika I couldnt get a single straight shot on .
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Stryke wrote:i`m sure theres hundreds of Uechika I couldnt get a single straight shot on .
################################
################################

:lol:
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

AAAhmed46 wrote: everything rick teaches me is to cover up cover up.
Cover how? Where are the forearms and elbows?
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Elbows are to cover the centerline, and gaurd the solar plexus, the hands cover the face..... cant really describe it, i think we do sanchin different then other people.....

Post by Guest »

So what are they talking about?
Don't listen to these guys my friend they are not Uechi :lol: They are heritics!

Get Rick to show you the helmet as an entry and then think of how your covers might be used as weapons at some point.

Postures are points in time we transition through. cover is a reference point. sooner or later you have to mess up the other guy.

Give it time. Rick will put it all together. I have great faith in what and how he presents the material. HE usually blows me away with something new to explore every time I visit you guys.

I spent most of tonights class teaching boxing and working the focus mitts. Guess what most of what I taught tonight was cover. how to dish it out without catching all the counters on your head. If you can not throw without walking in to power then there is no sense throwing.

Protecting your self is the most valuable lesson. no sense developing the power to destroy 2x4's... if you get hit before you can deliver your shot it was all for nothing.

You must walk before you run. Some times it feels like crawling. but the basics are were it's at. JMO
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Lairds right , were getting to far into the whys rather than straight function

Post by Guest »

AAAhmed46 wrote:
Oh, and wear head gear because as a Uechi guy, you'll walk right into punches without even realing it. To this day, I am still getting popped in the snazola because of that sanchin stuff. Keep your hands up and protect your face!!! My hands want to go into that sanchin position from all the years of getting kicked and punched while standing there like an idiot. Now it bites me in the ass.
Do guys really just stand in sanchin and move straight? How does sanchin make you open? Its really closed, and covers the face and body? How?
What happens is that during Sanchin, you stand there and Sensei tells you "put your elbows in", and starts punching you in the stomach, kicking your legs, slamming your finger tips... etc... basically beating you into this position. After years and years of it, you just naturally want to put your arms there.... I guess to protect your ribs or something... well guess what? your grape is wide open!

Wanna beat a Uechi guy in sparring? HEADSHOTS!

It's all over.. and guess what... it's your SENSEIS FAULT!

Post by Guest »

Video of "The Helmet" please?

TIA!

Tony

Post by Guest »

Van Canna wrote:Dave's reflex drills are very humbling to Uechi-ka. Try it. :wink:
Right Van... these drills will change your attitude about Uechi Ryu and how it's being taught. It's not the style, it's the teachers. David boxed for sometime also... he knows "the drill" thats for sure...
Asteer

Post by Asteer »

The Bronze Dago wrote:
Van Canna wrote:Dave's reflex drills are very humbling to Uechi-ka. Try it. :wink:
Right Van... these drills will change your attitude about Uechi Ryu and how it's being taught. It's not the style, it's the teachers. David boxed for sometime also... he knows "the drill" thats for sure...
Sounds interesting. Could you tell me who Dave is and where I can find his reflex drills.

Return to “Fighting Drills”