Dr. Kano the founder of traditional Judo a HERETIC?

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

“The OVERLOOK MARTIAL ARTS READER” Vol 2 Edited by John Donohue

Page 64 taken from “Modern Bujutsu and Budo” by Donn F. Draeger:

“In many ways Kano stands as a heretic vis-à-vis the classical bujutsu and budo traditions. For example, in devising Kodokan Judo training methods he defied the classical concept of yugen insofar as this term implies 'mysterious skills.’ To some degree this is a direct refutation of yomeigakyu philosophy, which form the very backbone of all classical learning methods. Kano did not agree that it was necessary to acquire technical and spiritual maturity both through experience and through penetration of the hidden depths of the okuden, or secret teaching; for if this were admitted, Kano’s own study, particularly that made in a purely academic way, would mark him as being deficient in many respects in his knowledge of classical bujutsu. Kano also placed less reliance on kan, or intuition, in learning, replacing it with rational thought and analysis based on a ‘method instruction in conformity with modern science.’”

Seems we have been around forever. :wink: 8)
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Of course he was Rick , and he was the man ;)

Good judo is on my list of arts i`d love to have more experience in

maybe in 20 years or so i`ll have time to take it up :lol:
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

There are many who have not seen Judo in action and wrongfully discount it. Watch good Judo in action and see how fast they can put you through the ground! 8O
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I would of loved to see Judo when it still incorporated striking and had more emphasis on the ground .

I see it as a very complete unarmed art , it`s influenced my thinking a lot .

I`m currently playing a lot with sacrafice throws , Ive only come across them through judo .

Ive had the pleasure of being spun around like a top by Judoka , never mind the throws .... The first time I was ever pinned was by a judoka , talk about feeling helpless ....
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Anyone who thinks judo is weak should explain to me why Yoshida, a judo champion crushed royce gracie? Why does sakuraba, another guy who beat the gracies train with yoshida?
Helio gracie was once beaten by a japanese JUDO fighter.

Want proof? Search google!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

KIMURA !!!! :D
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Gracie Jiu jitsu is an old style of Judo, before it had too many rules...you can find that on google :wink:
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

I dont know if this is true, but...............

I hear the guy who brought ''jujutsu'' to brazil was kicked out of kodokan because he would go out and pick fights.

Since he was kicked out, apprently he could no longer call his fighting style judo so i guess he told them it was jujutsu!

Can anyone second this?
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Judo instructors were sent around the world to spread Judo as Kano Sensei felt it had all around physical and mental benefits.
These Judo instructors in some cases set up trade businesses and in the case of one in England became prize fighters.
I believe the one in Brazil who trained Gracie set up a trade business of some sort.
I would say the difference you see in Judo and BJJ (I've trained both, nikyu in Judo) is Judo is 50/50 standing throws and groundfighting. BJJ focuses more on the ground and has several takedowns which wouldn't score points in judo because the knees are not both allowed to touch and so forth. One of the Judo schools I train at has BJJ and Sambo guest instructors all the time.
Kano was well ahead of his time not only in Judo but in his Olympic support and education reforms. There aren't really many folks you could compare him to. He was one of a kind.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Post by Guest »

jorvik wrote:Gracie Jiu jitsu is an old style of Judo, before it had too many rules...you can find that on google :wink:
I'm starting training this coming Saturday in B.J.J. The instructors are two guys from Brazil who supposedly trained with the Gracies. I'll post more info when I know more.

Couldn't believe the price... $50 a month! I was like "huh"? "I'm there"!

Time to get out my Judo Gi (and white belt)!!!
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I failed to mention that for a while many people called it "Kano-ryu Jujitsu" so Gracies use of the term may come from that.

Have fun Tony. $50 would buy me about 10 months of Judo lessons by the way. Lower costs because they only give out belts every 2-5 years.
My medical bills even out the price. 8)

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Post by Guest »

Fred, I was inspired by what you wrote about the importance of chokes... the idea of strangling someone sort of had an appeal to me, hah hah...
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I'm starting training this coming Saturday in B.J.J. The instructors are two guys from Brazil who supposedly trained with the Gracies. I'll post more info when I know more.
Youll love it Tony , i`m jealous , Ive been doign BJJ here once a week and it`s awesome fun

Man add this to your already awesome skills , youll be unstoppable !!!
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Have fun Tony.

Great stuff to add in. :D

Post by Guest »

My Buddy Frank has been going and he said they work you like dogs!!!

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”