Primary Source Info on Iraqi Front

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Bill Glasheen

Primary Source Info on Iraqi Front

Post by Bill Glasheen »

With the Constitution election coming up on Friday, these are interesting times in Iraq. At the very least, we can call it a success when various parties are battling over getting their constituents to vote. No matter what the result, this is what democracy is about. And from all the most recent news, it sounds like the emergence of a Sunni voting block has resulted in last minute Constitution changes that may be for the better.

We shall see...

Meanwhile, I found this letter from Al Qaeda's number 2 man to al Zarqawi on the WSJ website. It is long, but fascinating.

Anyone who thinks "the war on terror" isn't being fought on many levels in Iraq cannot continue to think that after reading this note. Indeed, the plans of bin Laden start decades back in numerous terrorist acts around the world. The WTC attack we most associate with Islamofascist terror was the second such attack on that building alone. There was also the bombing of the Cole (anniversary was yesterday) and of various embassies, etc.

Do these whackos have a master plan? Absolutely.

Are they "whacked"? Just read this letter from beginning to end. See if you can pick out all the details that show them to be both brilliant and out of touch with the world.

I particularly like the line regretting the response of the Americans to al qaeda terrorism, which resulted in the death of "my favorite wife." Hmm... So your brand of Islam allows for harems amongst "the chosen", eh? Sigh... I guess every terrorist star needs his groupies. :roll: Meanwhile, I take the admonition against scenes of slaughter (because it makes the Americans pissed and then they kick butt) to be a big thumbs up in my book. You're damn right, loser! :twisted:

But I wax philosophic... :wink:

And of course then there is the long diatribe about the problem with the Shia. You know how it is... Not everyone knows "true Islam." And then there is the discussion about possible perceived problems if they have a "foreign" ruler of Iraq. You don't say!!!!

This is a good one. Amidst all the self-serving, sanctimonious, pseudo religious crap are some interesting facts, opinions, and perspectives. Let me know if you can't read it. If not, I'll have to find a way to convert the pdf document. It's a long one, but this document is history. One day it'll be a source of discussion and analysis in someone's Ph.D. history thesis and numerous articles in learned journals. And hey, maybe smart people will think about it as well! :lol:

A letter from Abu Muhammad to al Zarqawi

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

"my favorite wife." Good name for a movie.

I read that yesterday and it was really interesting. I wonder if it was also a warning to al-Zarqawi about his antics. I'm betting if he keeps it up either we'll get a tip from someone inside on his location, or he gets picked to be a posthumous matyr.
I was dreaming of the past...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I can't always tell if people are being blocked out of the WSJ site. I have a subscription.

This link to the same document is courtesy of Jim Prouty.

English Translation of Ayman al-Zawahiri's letter to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

This one is much easier to work with, as it isn't a pdf document.

Thanks, Jim!

- Bill
Kuma-de

Post by Kuma-de »

Bill Glasheen wrote:I can't always tell if people are being blocked out of the WSJ site. I have a subscription.

This link to the same document is courtesy of Jim Prouty.

English Translation of Ayman al-Zawahiri's letter to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

This one is much easier to work with, as it isn't a pdf document.

Thanks, Jim!

- Bill
don't touch my moustache or something like that :D
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
Kuma-de

Sunni v. Shi'a's

Post by Kuma-de »

Mina-san,

I am not a religious scholar of the Koran, nor do I play one on TV but perhaps you would be of interest of this tid bit?

Sunnis make up about 80-85% of the worldwide believers.

Shi'as are the minority.

"Both accept the the Koran as the Divine Word of Allah, both accept the binding nature of Sunna ("traditions") from that name of the Sunni ("traditional") school is derived:daily obligation to prayer, Pilgrimage to Mecca, etc.

The difference is how Sunnis & Shi'as view Islamic history. The word "Shi'a basically means 'follower of the partisan." The answer lies in that they followed the prophet's son-in-law, Ali and his descendants. and believe that Ali was the divinely appointed immediate successor to Muhammad"

Source" The Idiot's Guide To the Koran, Penguin Group, USA, 2004: by, Shaykh Muhammad Sarwar & Brandon Toropov.
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I got my hook from my secret sources. Don't tell anyone.

http://www.dni.gov/release_letter_101105.html
I was dreaming of the past...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Interesting summary (from the Director of National Intelligence).
Al-Zawahiri's letter offers a strategic vision for al Qa'ida's direction for Iraq and beyond, and portrays al Qa'ida's senior leadership's isolation and dependence.

Among the letter's highlights are discussions indicating:

* The centrality of the war in Iraq for the global jihad.

* From al Qa'ida's point of view, the war does not end with an American departure.

* An acknowledgment of the appeal of democracy to the Iraqis.

* The strategic vision of inevitable conflict, with a tacit recognition of current political dynamics in Iraq; with a call by al-Zawahiri for political action equal to military action.

* The need to maintain popular support at least until jihadist rule has been established.

* Admission that more than half the struggle is taking place "in the battlefield of the media."

I found many more interesting tidbits, such as them expressing where the coalition was doing them the most harm and their contempt for Shia Muslims. There's also a bit in there about the many hostages being held in Iran (thus al Zarqawi needs to be careful not to tick the Shia off). Interesting...

- Bill
Kuma-de

Post by Kuma-de »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Interesting summary (from the Director of National Intelligence).
Al-Zawahiri's letter offers a strategic vision for al Qa'ida's direction for Iraq and beyond, and portrays al Qa'ida's senior leadership's isolation and dependence.

Among the letter's highlights are discussions indicating:

* The centrality of the war in Iraq for the global jihad.

* From al Qa'ida's point of view, the war does not end with an American departure.

* An acknowledgment of the appeal of democracy to the Iraqis.

* The strategic vision of inevitable conflict, with a tacit recognition of current political dynamics in Iraq; with a call by al-Zawahiri for political action equal to military action.

* The need to maintain popular support at least until jihadist rule has been established.

* Admission that more than half the struggle is taking place "in the battlefield of the media."

I found many more interesting tidbits, such as them expressing where the coalition was doing them the most harm and their contempt for Shia Muslims. There's also a bit in there about the many hostages being held in Iran (thus al Zarqawi needs to be careful not to tick the Shia off). Interesting...

- Bill
Bill-san :

In the spirit of your post above and the content of the letter please see below. I think it fits your topic too. As Peters states in his views perhaps we are too eager to step into the muddle.

(this is a cross post from my Apathy and the Tightening Noose Around America):

Apathy & the Tightening Noose of Terrorism against Ameri ca Thread

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by domucasa I think that there are honest reasons for
disagreeing with the Iraq invasion. (for the
record I am for it). But you cannot say that
it was an easy decision. The americans may have
been better off if they had kept the lid on
Iraq and let Saddam use the Iraqis as
he wished, on the assumption that
Iraqis are not ready for democracy and will
only want to fight each other if given control
over their own country.

I think that the arguement against invasion
is much crueler and cynical than the arguement
for invasion. I have to admit though that often
cruel and cynical views are correct .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

domucasa,

Good point, as you said above perhaps Iraq is not ready for democracy.

Let's take a look at a quote from Ralph Peter's book "Beyond Terror":

He is discussing America's recent use of its military:

quote:
......We died in Beirut, uncomprehending to the last, but stayed in the Sinai. We descended upon impovererished islands like tourists with guns, and soon went home as tourists do.

Then came the 1990's. Somalia, Haiti, poorest of poor. Macedonia, Rwanda and Eastern Zaire, Bosnia. After the squandered Desert Storm, we lingered in the Persian Gulf watching as the dictator we spared tormented his people and played peek-a-boo with UN surrogates we supported with a hollow prescence and hollower rhetoric..........

(p.92)

He later continues....

quote:
The next century will indeed be an American century, but it will be a century of difficult American choices, and it is unlikely that we will always choose wisely. Military readiness is essential - but the military must be ready for reality not for its fantasy.

p. 94

Finally,

quote:
Yet in an age when those who make our national decisions have not yet served in uniform and do not understand either the technical or human dimensions of military operations, our forces consistently look capable of military operations in ways they are not -- and too expensive and powerful to be left on the display when the President is left out of options and key interest groups or foriegn leaders are clamoring for American action. We are going to go to school, whether or not we have learned our lesson.

p. 95

Pretty powerful stuff?? Comments?
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

If the letter was authentic, I would call it embarassing. If I were them (the al qaeda websites), I would deny, deny, deny as well.

I agree that it may not be to al Zarqawi because of this quote
By God, if by chance you're going to Fallujah, send greetings to Abu Musab alZarqawi.
Exactly whom the letter was written to is not clear.

A real historian would not read someone's spin on a document. A real historian would first read the document, and then discuss.

There are many, many details in this letter that could be validated to authenticate or refute the content. Again, that would be the job of a good historian or intelligence agent. Along those lines, it's entirely clear that this may be a fabrication either of al qaeda or "The Black House." You know how it goes with spy vs. spy... 8)

- Bill
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Why for some reason am i a little scared that something bad will happen?

Those wacky iraqis! I smell some strange antics to be had.

Return to “Realist Training”