SPAM control technique with Outlook 2002+

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

SPAM control technique with Outlook 2002+

Post by Guest »

One way to keep spam from getting to your machine is to setup outlook to download headers only giving you the option of what to download and what to delete off the server.

In outlook 2002 or better hit CTRL+ALT+S and you'll get a Send/Recieve groups dialog box. Select "All Accounts" and hit "Edit". For each account listed make sure that "download item description only" is checked.

What this will do is each time you check your mail, outlook will only download the header. You can then multiple-select the spam and suspicious mail and hit the delete button. Everything else you select one at a time and double click. You'll get an option dialog box, simply select "download" for each one you want to keep. The next time you check mail, all the crap will get blown off the server without even touching your machine and the mail you decided to keep will be downloaded to outlook.

Have fun!
Tony
gmattson
Site Admin

I've tried everything...

Post by gmattson »

ended up with "Mailwasher" Pro.

It allows me to train the program to identify 99% of the spam prior to it being sent to my computer/outlook.

I can review the subject/sender's email address and a short summary of the email. I can then train the program by placing a "+" or "-" where indicated, telling the program it is from a "friend" or should be labeled "blacklist". I can instruct the program to automatically delete all "blacklisted" email without letting me see the email at all.

There are all kinds of programming possible, to help train the program. In spite of all this, there is always some spam that manages to "sneak" in.

Tony's "Outlook" tip can be a second line of defense.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Post by Guest »

It is for me George. I have an old machine on my network that does nothing but run mailwasher. At a set interval, it logs into our pop servers and blows away spam like it's nobodies business. But I don't mess with it for the most part, I just let it run and every once in a while, if i'm getting way to much spam, I go and train it. Sometimes I get spam inbetween mailwashers intervals and it's in those cases i use the outlook technique. The bottom line is, 0 spam touches my computer.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”