Comfort

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Sounds like old karate training where we worked from kneeling and seated positions. Whatever happened to that part of training?
Actually Mike , Ive done a bit of this .. not in a regular club situation though .

I think it`s a good tool to work out how to apply locks and manipulate the body . It`s harder and once you get it there, standing up and introducing the footwork just seems natural .
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

They do a lot of that in Aikido Suwari waza (sp).......from kneeling..that's how you get a lot of the great photos of Ueshiba.were folks fly over his head.............it's because he is kneeling,,,,,,,,that was how I got into the B*llschitt aspect of my training, I realised that the photos were dishonest
.then I looked at Aiki jutsu etc :cry: :cry: .......hoping to find some honesty.but nada :cry: :cry:
but Ben if it's free then go with it....even the Aiki, bite the bullet pretend that you believe the crap and go with it..I know quite a few wrist locks and stuff.finger breaks etc.they are really cool..and you have to take what you are getting..and kinda edit it yourself :lol:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

have a go , at the worst youll learn what doesnt work , just keep a critical and open mind :)
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

have a go , at the worst youll learn what doesnt work , just keep a critical and open mind :)

Jorvik , do you think learning the locks etc kneeling helps as a method ? , making it easier once you stand ?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

yes and no
in the sport style of Aiki ( Tomiki or shodokan).they don't use that many wristlocks.it's all quick knockdowns and quite a bit like shotokan in many ways.............and more effective than Trad IMHO
in Trad there are a lot of wristlocks.........and when you do them kneeling you are isolating yourself from the power of your legs and hips...so you will get better technique.really it all comes down to understanding your body alighnment.....in kote gaesh..the simple wrist turn throw you would turn their wrist down first to breal balance then to the side to break the wrist.and use your hips to turn it ......and there are tricks and moves to really every technique...secret is like Kata....make it your own :wink:
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

jorvik wrote: you have to take what you are getting..and kinda edit it yourself :lol:
And the true secret to becoming a real martial artist is finally revealed.

The problem for most is knowing how why and when to edit what, this process will elude most.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

:D

I like his tapes there is some good stuff.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Just out of curiousity, does "Traditional" sambo training have this comfort stuff?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

for the record I though Ben would be talking Southern Comfort ....
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

for the record I though Ben would be talking Southern Comfort ...
:D

That sh!t ***** :) It's too sweet.. leaves a helluvah hangovah.

Besides, I'm another Damn yakee that has taken a southern girl for a bride an' done bred ... got the young'un crawlin' andah waklin' allloverdahplace :)

Return to “Fighting Drills”