Can We Train The Flinch Response?

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
2Green

Post by 2Green »

" I know without any shred of doubt that if I am ever put in the same state of adrenaline and naked terror as before, everyone that is perceived as a threat to my or my loved ones' lives will die very quickly." (5 Dragons)

In our fantasies we all want to believe this, like as if we're some kind of Steven Segal movie character who can mop up the room with the bad guys.
I've felt it too so I can relate.
I'm not Steven Segal, maybe you are.
However I don't fool myself into believing that Hollywood will happen if I get surrounded. I might be the one who "dies very quickly".

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
NEB

My Understanding...

Post by NEB »

...of the flinch resembles what Mr. Wilson said in his opening post. I remember during the "blocking" threads (most taking the position that you can't block effectively or at all) reading them and thinking

"what about the natural autonomic response to a sudden, unexpected threat? Like what happenes when something rolles out into the street and you break and swerve so quickly you amaze yourself?"

I didn't get too many replies.

It seems that the flinch response is just that. Automatic. Many people will throw their hands up to cover their face when something comes at them. So why not take that automatic response we all have and condition it? Instead of just throwing one's hands up, we do something more effective.

In other words, combine the flinch with a trained reflex to create something that is a combination of both. And much more effective.

nb
"Well, let's get to the rat killing..."
2Green

Post by 2Green »

...and this:
" assume funny pose and think of the appropriate movement out of kata. Laughing"

...is of course the antitheseis of what Karate training is, as we all know!

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
gmattson
Site Admin

Push...

Post by gmattson »

Excellent discussion, worth a second look!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
JOHN THURSTON

Flinch resposne

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Interesting Post.

one of my students blinked her eyes shut every time she threw something of somethinked was thrown at her.

I love her dearly but I had to ask another student just to tap her in the head (not hard of course) at these points.

Not exactly a fighting drill, but it worked and she dominated without blinking in the rounds on her last test and on her pretest.

In a little while she will outrank me-hah. (she deserves to)

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Fighting Drills”