Improving your best abilities

Moderator: Available

Kevin Guse

Improving your best abilities

Post by Kevin Guse »

I am going to start posting some topics on different aspects of improving ones athletic ability and how this can enhance the abilities of practitioners in the “Uechi world”. Anything anyone wants to add is more that appreciated.

Why is it that so many athletes in so many sports train themselves to be better at their sport without performing their sport? :? Basically this is a complicated way to say that those who dare to be great at a physical task don't just perform that task. For example if you want to be a great basketball player you don't just practice the fundamentals of basketball. A basketball player would incorporate stretching, lifting, running and on on the list goes. Why is it then that so many martial arts practitioners avoid training other than the fundamentals of their art? Now before I make a lot of people mad I have to say I am generalizing. I know there are some people that work very hard on their athletic ability to become better at their art. But I think most people agree that not many people walk into a dojo and think of working on explosiveness, reaction, or training of the eyes. Don't get me wrong there are ways to achieve athletic greatness through traditional training methods but I propose that people take their training to the next level.

These training methods and the benefits to karate is something I would like to discuss in the forum. Some of the drills and methods may seem different to you but I bet so did the first time your sensei put you in a Sanchin stance. I believe that great athletes in our cases martial artists are made not born. The catch is who is willing to get out of the comfort zone and train to become better.

Check back Monday or Tuesday for the first topic or if there are any suggestions I will open there. :D
gmattson
Site Admin

Is it because many sports

Post by gmattson »

attract busy people who aren't really doing the sport to excel at it, rather just as a hobby. If lucky, they get motivated to work real hard at the sport, but don't feel the need to go outside the system to kick more effectively or more powerfully!

Would you agree that there are safer and at least as effective ways to improve the quality of your kicks (as an example) then just practicing kicking?

How about some examples of exercises or drills that aren't associated with karate, that can help core elements of the art.

ps. You might drop in to Van and Bill's forums and let the readers know about your forum. As in other areas of life, (some we have just discussed.. people may not think it necessary to motor down line on these forums for some very interesting threads) :)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Kevin Guse

Very True

Post by Kevin Guse »

George it is very true that many people take up sports as hobbies and I agree that there are many ways to improve the power and effectiveness of one's kick with out just kicking.

In fact there are many things a person could add right into their Karate class that would not take a lot of time but done on regular basis would improve kicking ability.

When I think of an effective kick I think of power.
Now looking at the formula for power

Power=Force x Distance / Time

In athletic terms this is:
Power=Strength X Flexibility / Speed

For now let’s look at the first element being strength. What has to be strong for kicking purposes? Well most people would say your leg is most important but really I believe it would be your core region (abdominals etc.) Our core is the center of mass and without a strong core it will drastically decrease power.

There are many drills to increase the strength of the core. I tend to break them down into 3 categories.

1. Crunch Routine:
Any number of crunches done slowly targeting all areas of the abs

2. Isolation and Functional:
These involve holding different positions while contracting the core region. To name a few:
push up position resting on your forearms.
side bridge= laying on your side you raise you body into the air with only two contact point on the ground your forearm and the side of your bottom foot.
coffee table=on all fours with you back parallel to the floor raise you right arm straight in front of you and your left leg. Hold for 5-10 sec the switch to left arm and right leg. All the time keeping your back flat and parallel to the floor

3. Resistance= Any number of slow drills done with a partner or weights.

Note: It is extremely important that when ever you train the front and sides of your core you train the back. A tree will not last through the storm with a rotten trunk on one side.

I can see now that explaining all these drills in detail can get lengthy so I will try to just name them and if people want more detail please ask. :lol:
Kevin Guse

Strength Con't For good Kicks

Post by Kevin Guse »

Remember Power= Strength X Flexibility / Speed.

Now obviously we need our legs to be strong. But we want to build strength that leads to power and speed right. So doing 100's of air squats will build strength but there is better strength.

Of course you could train in a gym with weights and that it great but here are some drills to be done in the dojo.

1. Many different plyometrics and box jumps (I have a list that never ends if anyone is interested)

2. Karaoke for power- this is done by driving the front leg across and covering as much ground each stride

3. Tuck Jumps- jumping as high as you can and tucking your legs up to have you knees meet you hands that are out in front of you parallel to the floor.

4. Walking lunges- can add jumping for more explosiveness.

Skipping ahead in the formula to speed. Many of these drills will also develope speed. In a kick speed is the time that we move our foot from point A to point B. A being the ground then striking the target and back to point B the ground.

You can see that these can be added easily into a Karate workout for 5-10 minutes a class.

Getting late so I'll hit on some flexibility tomarrow.

Thanks
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Kevin,

My students will definitely see some of these in the next few classes. Please keep 'em coming. I don't have much to add because I don't know much about various ways to train (not a gym junkie...more of a gym flunkie :D) but I'm enjoying what you're posting.

-Dana
Did you show compassion today?
gmattson
Site Admin

Excellent Kevin.

Post by gmattson »

Exactly what I was hoping you would cover.

Is there some way to add a few clips on the second series you posted, beginning with:
Many different plyometrics and box jumps (I have a list that never ends if anyone is interested)
One a week would be great. (Please begin a new thread on each) Viewed these drills on the DVD and they helped me understand how these simple drills should be performed correctly and with proper emphasis.
GEM
Kevin Guse

Great and Thank you

Post by Kevin Guse »

So glad that you guys are interested! :D

Dana- Let me know how your students do. Sometimes people may not like it because it forces them to get out of the comfort zone but that is how we improve.

George- I'll work on figuring out how to post clips. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this? :?: I have a pretty good computer but don't know how to put a clip on the forum.
Also is there anything specifically that I should bring with me when I visit and let me know if there is something from the video that you would like me to cover while I'm there??? I would be glad to work on anything.
Kevin Guse

Flexibility

Post by Kevin Guse »

The third component in the power formula is flexibility. The formula will not work with out all three factors. Remember distance is represented by our bodies with flexibility. Per pound who are some of the most powerful and explosive humans?? I would have to say elite gymnasts. (Just don't tell my fiancée because she was a gymnast and I played football so we argue all the time about which are better athletes :lol: ) What are gymnasts always known for? That's right flexibility.

Flexibility can be achieved in many different ways. The key is to find the safest and most effective program that works for you. I would suggest variety to keep your body guessing and challenge yourself to improve each time. Flexibility is something that a person has to work at not just go through the motions.

The best program that I know of is the ACTIVE ISOLATED STRETCHING program developed by Aaron Mattes. It is different from many traditional programs but man do you see results.

More info at these two sites-

http://britathletex.com/html/flexibility.html
and
http://www.stretchingusa.com/

What ever your program the key is to be consistent everyday. I know it sounds crazy but force yourself to get up 10 minutes early or 10 minutes at night. Stretching in the morning can really help you wake up and start you day.

Getting late again but there is one more component I can think of that a person could work on to improve the efficiency of their kicking. Find out tomorrow :wink:
gmattson
Site Admin

Kevin..

Post by gmattson »

When you visit, I'll show you how to upload clips and link to them in your posts.

Lets work on flexibility drills while you are here. This is an area that most Uechi students need work on, especially some of us "older" students! :)
GEM

Return to “Kihon (basic training drills)”