Free Office Software

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

-Metablade-

Free Office Software

Post by -Metablade- »

Want a quality Office suite that rivals (and can work alongside)
MS Office?
Want a fully supported, ever changing, easy to use and robust program?

Want to pay nothing for it?

Behold!

Open Office.

Here you go!
(Toss)

http://www.tucows.com/preview/241490

Enjoy!
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
eSc

Re: Free Office Software

Post by eSc »

-Metablade- wrote:Want a quality Office suite that rivals (and can work alongside)
MS Office?
Want a fully supported, ever changing, easy to use and robust program?

Want to pay nothing for it?

Behold!

Open Office.

Here you go!
(Toss)

http://www.tucows.com/preview/241490

Enjoy!
Thats all I use. Since I started linux back in the late 90's but it was called StarOffice back in the day :)

And it works better then MS Office in many ways. This is from a technical point of view and an average end user's point of view.

The GF gets so frustrated over using MS products now that she's use to Linux based products :) Not nearly as many assumptions in linux
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Ah! A fellow Linux user, AND a Karateka!
You rule!
8)
eSc

Post by eSc »

Thanks.... I try :)
gmattson
Site Admin

Hey Meta..

Post by gmattson »

Why didn't you post this announcement last year. . . before I shelled out the obscene amount of money for MS "Office"?

I downloaded this version and find it quite easy to use. In our on-line "Learning Center", we can show powerpoint presentations, but the individual viewing it must load the presentation on their own computer. Having this free version will be great for those who don't own MS office.

Thanks!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

No problemo sir!
Indeed, seeing products like Open office really sort of put the sheer greed of some *other* companies in the spotlight doesn't it?
Enjoy!

I'm all about free (but legal) stuff.
I like to think that for any application needed in which one pays for a fee for, there are at least a dozen more out there which do the same thing for free.

This is true even with the current Mp3 wars.
BTW:

I think I posted this before, but what would you say If I told you that there exists zillions of sites which offer hundreds of thousands of songs with no strings attached?

And you can browse my genre?
And sub-sub-sub genre?

And the catch is?
They are unsigned artists.
(But you have to hurry, because daily they disappear because they do get signed.)

I speak of Indie music of course, which in my opinion, can be far better than commercial.
Sure, there are some lemons, but that's true of any artist!

Here's a good link to get started:

http://music.download.com/2001-1_32-0.html

Free, and good quality.
Download, rip, burn, and share 'till your ears bleed.
Free.
Legal.
~And the embodiment of what the TRUE spirit of music as a sublime art form is, no matter what category(ies) you are into.
I learn new things daily about kinds of music which I thought I knew *everything* about.
Let the serendipity (We say that word a lot) begin. I warn you though, the "Kid in the candy store effect." may overtake you.

I WANT IT ALL!
:lol:

Why are you still reading this?
GO THERE NOW!!!

:lol:
gmattson
Site Admin

But..

Post by gmattson »

No Hank Williams Jr.!!! :)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
eSc

Post by eSc »

Metablade is right though.

In the linux community especially there is a great desire for free software (legal)

I can install linux (SuSE 10) and have everything you need to run a computer. This includes extra apps such as Office and many more for free. And typically the best part about all of these is they are open source :) That means a lot for me maybe not everyone else.

But this free software "craze" is not limited to just Linux. As a lot of free software projects grow they tend to branch out to other operating systems. I see it happen more with apps that start off linux only and work out to windows / mac.

Pick a piece of software and then do a google search for a free version of it or ask Metablade (or myself) and you'll see the light :)

Now if only I can find usefull things for free.. rent :)
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Personally, I like WordPerfect for word processing. More powerful to use with more features than MS Word.

Gene
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

I am with you on this one Gene!
Especially now that Microsoft Word is "married" to Outlook 2003, it can confound more and more issues.
I like simple.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”