Danish boycott.

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
IJ

Post by IJ »

Anyone remember how they posted those cartoons offensive to jews and christians in dozens of publications from the arab world? Man, they rioted every day, boycotted arab countries, and stormed their embassies and stoned mosques. What a mess! :)
--Ian
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

How many large papers in the US would publish anti-semetic or christian cartoons . :?

How about a we hate blacks cartoon ? , wouldnt be touched with a ten foot pole and you know it . 8O

While I dont like the reaction there is a point to there protests . But the death and destruction angle makes them all seem a little retarded , and only supports the cartoonists point of view . :cry:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

A talk show host I listened to last week

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Friday (yahoo!) -- February 3, 2006

OUTRAGED MUSLIMS! OH MY!

We wake up this morning to see video on CNN showing rampaging Muslims around the world. In Europe, the Middle East, the Pacific Rim ... Muslim Mobs spreading mayhem. It seems that these mighty mad Muslims are rioting and firing their ever-present AK-47s into the air because of cartoons. Yup ... this latest epidemic of Muslim outrage comes to us because some newspapers in Norway and Denmark published some cartoons depicting Mohammed. In fact ... here is one of my favorites!

Admit it, this turban/bomb thing could be the next big fashion hit on the Muslim street!

Muslim outrage huh. OK ... let's do a little historical review. Just some lowlights:

* Muslims fly commercial airliners into buildings in New York City. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslim officials block the exit where school girls are trying to escape a burning building because their faces were exposed. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims cut off the heads of three teenaged girls on their way to school in Indonesia. A Christian school. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder teachers trying to teach Muslim children in Iraq. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder over 80 tourists with car bombs outside cafes and hotels in Egypt. No Muslim outrage.
* A Muslim attacks a missionary children's school in India. Kills six. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims slaughter hundreds of children and teachers in Beslan, Russia. Muslims shoot children in the back. No Muslim outrage.
* Let's go way back. Muslims kidnap and kill athletes at the Munich Summer Olympics. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims fire rocket-propelled grenades into schools full of children in Israel. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder more than 50 commuters in attacks on London subways and busses. Over 700 are injured. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims massacre dozens of innocents at a Passover Seder. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder innocent vacationers in Bali. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslim newspapers publish anti-Semitic cartoons. No Muslim outrage
* Muslims are involved, on one side or the other, in almost every one of the 125+ shooting wars around the world. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims beat the charred bodies of Western civilians with their shoes, then hang them from a bridge. No Muslim outrage.
* Newspapers in Denmark and Norway publish cartoons depicting Mohammed. Muslims are outraged.

Dead children. Dead tourists. Dead teachers. Dead doctors and nurses. Death, destruction and mayhem around the world at the hands of Muslims .. no Muslim outrage ... but publish a cartoon depicting Mohammed with a bomb in his turban and all hell breaks loose.

Come on, is this really about cartoons? They're rampaging and burning flags. They're looking for Europeans to kidnap. They're threatening innkeepers and generally raising holy Muslim hell not because of any outrage over a cartoon. They're outraged because it is part of the Islamic jihadist culture to be outraged. You don't really need a reason. You just need an excuse. Wandering around, destroying property, murdering children, firing guns into the air and feigning outrage over the slightest perceived insult is to a jihadist what tailgating is to a Steeler's fan.

I know and understand that these bloodthirsty murderers do not represent the majority of the world's Muslims. When, though, do they become outraged? When do they take to the streets to express their outrage at the radicals who are making their religion the object of worldwide hatred and ridicule? Islamic writer Salman Rushdie wrote of these silent Muslims in a New York Times article three years ago. "As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming?"

Indeed. Why not?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Amen. That about covers it, including one very notable pre-9/11 excuse for outrage.

Let us not confuse protest with lawlessness. Let us not confuse insult with insanity. And most importantly of all, let's not confuse religion with violent radicalism.

What did we start with? An insult to those who practice the Muslim faith. Thou shalt not depict an image of the prophet Muhammad. It was a stupid, insensitive thing for a satirist to do. But you've got to see the irony of violent protest after a caricature of Muhammad bearing a bomb in his turban. By reacting the way they did, these protesters gave the cartoonist an audience, and justification for his metaphor. How productive was that?

Somewhere where politically correct discussions are not held, there are folks laughing their butt off. Sad...

It's easy for us Americans to see this. We've done and experienced it all. And now that this nonsense happens elsewhere - after the rest of the world looked down upon us for decades - there are folks shaking their heads.

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Thou shalt not depict an image of the prophet Muhammad.
Doesn't that rule only apply to Muslims? :?
I was dreaming of the past...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Absolutely, Mike, if you want to be literal about it.

But...

How sensitive was it for Prince Harry to show up at a Halloween party in a Nazi uniform?

If we care about someone, we try not to offend them if we can help it. And if we want the other party to understand how we feel, there are probably more constructive ways to achieve that end than what we see going on throughout the world. But truth be told, that overreaction is pure and simple pathology polluting one of the world's great religions.

I do understand your point a bit, Mike. For example the NCAA needs to make a BFD about Indian mascots on college teams, banning said teams from postseason play if they continue with their Native American references (never mind that certain teams have the backing of local tribes). But somehow it's perfectly appropriate for an Irishman to be depicted as a leprechaun with a Napoleon complex. What-ever... ****** it up, I say. Got history? Got problems? Get over it! Get a sense of humor. Prove them wrong by smoking them in the game of life. I still get insults online about the Irish, but I find it more of an excuse to banter than I do to feign indignation and offense. It's just a victim's mentality, after all, and I'm not going to go there.

Sigh...

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

What's strange to me is that while NBC bows to the Christian right by canceling "The book of Daniel" before it ever even aired, no one in the Media seems to be even apologizing for the Mohammad cartoon.

One would think that regardless of right or wrong, apologizing may save some lives, whereas I don't think that airing a T.V. show that shows Jebus looking like "The Dude" from "The Big Lewbowski" will cost them.

There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/ ... 00,00.html

Anyone remember how they posted those cartoons offensive to jews and christians in dozens of publications from the arab world? Man, they rioted every day, boycotted arab countries, and stormed their embassies and stoned mosques. What a mess!
Can anyone give me links to some of these....other contriversies?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

All I know is theres some Danish biscuits in the pantry

and I`m not feeling guilty about eating them .....
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

thats cookies to you barbarians :twisted:
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

You tawk funny. Now I'm going to use my truck to load my lorry and go chase a bird.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

go throw a shrimp on the barbie Mike ;)

oh yeah whats with Lorry ? you think I`m a bloody Limey ?

seppos :roll: , thats a gooden Jorvik will get .....

we call them Utes
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Naw, that aint a Ute. A Ute is like a kid. I'll use it in a sentence, "Back in my ute I was a good lookin guy". :P
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

so what happened Mike ?? :shocked!: :lol: :twisted:

Is that anything like those nights a bit worse for wear ....

"In the back of my Ute she was a good looking bird" ?

Sheila , Wahine ... take your pick ....

Return to “Realist Training”