Elementary school bullies

For kids who are interested in the martial arts. Moderated by "Seisan Sister", who is 13 years old and a seasoned Uechi competitor and according to her father, a very serious martial artist.
iac1

Elementary school bullies

Post by iac1 »

I teach an after-school Uechi program at an elementary. Sometimes parents enroll their children in the classes because the kids are being picked on. Often the children are smaller and quieter than average.

Parents figure the bully isn't getting what they need at home, that's part of why they're bullies, and there's no use in calling the parents. The victim doesn't want to make things worse by "telling." Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with bullies?

MFH
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Spike

Re: Elementary school bullies

Post by Spike »

iac1 wrote:I teach an after-school Uechi program at an elementary. Sometimes parents enroll their children in the classes because the kids are being picked on. Often the children are smaller and quieter than average.
The thing parents believe is that their child will learn defense instantly...although this is definately not the case with smaller and quieter than average kids. They may listen and learn techniques and concepts, however to apply them in a "bully" situation can become more difficult than finding a needle in a haystack.
iac1 wrote:Parents figure the bully isn't getting what they need at home, that's part of why they're bullies, and there's no use in calling the parents.

If they haven't even tried to contact the parents, or meet with them, then that will be doing the same as encouraging the "bully" to do what they do best...[for those of you who are wondering what that "best" thing is...it is to "bully"]
iac1 wrote:The victim doesn't want to make things worse by "telling."
Well, how exactly did you find out? My kids have come out and told me...however i am lucky and they feel no threat of the bully due to his [inferior?] intelligence and slow speed.
W.J.C.

Re: Elementary school bullies

Post by W.J.C. »

[/quote]
Well, how exactly did you find out? My kids have come out and told me...however i am lucky and they feel no threat of the bully due to his [inferior?] intelligence and slow speed.[/quote]

Having been a Bully myself when I was growing up, in hindsight I can recall the
reasons why I picked the kids that I did to torture.

Those who were not confident and had low self esteem where easy targets.

It's easy to find them too, they ooze that certain something that says "pick on me."

In fact, they attracted me to them, I didn't even have to look hard.

I feel that Karate's best lesson in dealing with Bullies is self-esteem, self-accomplishment, pride, courage, and of course (coming in last place) the confidence to defend yourself.

If a bully can intimidate you, he'll do it over and over and over again.
seisansister

Bullies

Post by seisansister »

i would say karate definitely helps with bullies. kids build up confidence, and if they stick with it, they learn to defend themselves. also, they make friends at karate and bullies don't tend to pick on kids that have a group of friends that they're close with. when kids are confident with who they are, bullies are intimidated and get bored with them because the kid they made fun of no longer cares. karate builds self esteem and i think thats why a lot of kids join are bullied in school.

:B-fly: Seisansister

Return to “Kombat Kids”