Cat Calls

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

A few years ago I had a similar experience. On the way to work on a really cold, sloppy and wet morning I saw the car in front of me was dragging what appeared to be a coat sleeve from the drivers door. I sped up to get alongside and waved to the woman driver and kept pointing to the road below her. She just put here nose in the air and sped away. She likely felt pretty silly whan she arrived at her destination.

Just last month I did the same thing with an older women when stopped at an intersection I saw one of the tires on the driver's side was almost flat... a blowout waiting to happen. She did roll down the window, stopped to look and thanked me. She then pulled into a dealer service dept right at the light.

I had a blowout on an interstate about 6 or 7 years ago that resulted in damage to my vehicle and another when the wheel flew off. So, whenever I see a person with a low tire I try to get their attention.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Dana Sheets wrote:
New car? What did you end up buying Meta? You know you miss your Nissan. (I'm a big nissan fan myself.)
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/toyota_c ... rview.html
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

loverly. I had been coveting the infinity QX4 but both my wallet, gas prices, and the fact that they turned it into a mini-monster truck will probably drive me into sedan-land as well.
Did you show compassion today?
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

There you go.
That's what I'm driving.
98,000 with no problems. Runs on gas forever.

Let some other fool buy all the gas. I can think of better places to spend my money.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Andrew Heuett

Post by Andrew Heuett »

If really interested, here's a whole book about it that's backed by current research:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Sexual-Ass ... QprZ461557

Schwartz and DeKeseredy include lots of other variables in their model in addition to male peer support. Ignore the part where they cover the psychoanalytic model though. It's a pseudoscientific approach. For that discussion:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Pseudoscie ... 8QQtgZinfo
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Excellent reference! Thanks!
Did you show compassion today?
Ryokan

Post by Ryokan »

Back to the original topic. . . lol.

I just reads a great book titled "Controlling People" and written by Patricia Evans. I *love* this book.

Basically, the idea is that controlling people aren't partnering with you, but a pretend person they think is you.

Confronting them is worse and validates them.

"Oh, but you don't like vanilla ice cream."
"Uh, yes I do."
"Oh, but I remember when you. . ."

Instead, you just react this way:

"Oh, but you don't like vanilla ice cream."
"Whaaaat?"
"You said you didn't like vanilla ice cream."
"Whaaaat?"
"Well, anyway, we should order."

I wonder how this tactic would work with cat-callers -- not validating them, not invalidating them, just making them incomprehensible.

"Hey, work it girl!"
"Whaaaaat?"
"I said you've got a nice a**."
"Whaaaat?"
"I said, you're pretty hot."
"Whaaat?"
"Oh, whatever."
Van Canna

Waiting to test drive this

Post by Van Canna »

4 Cylinder turbo

Small SUV _ big performance
Van
Norm Abrahamson

Feeling lucky?

Post by Norm Abrahamson »

Just wondering, in the history of wolf whistles and "hubba hubbas" has any guy ever gotten lucky with that approach? Did any of you ladies ever hear a wolf whistle and decide that was the guy for you? Were any of you guys ever rewarded for a wolf whistle? If not, why repeat a pattern of behavior with a 0% success rate? Could it be because the real reason for the whistle is something else? What? Attempt to get a laugh or reaction? Attempt to demean? Attempt to intimidate? Showing off for friends?

Sincerely,

Norm Abrahamson
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

My vote is for primitve sexual display patterns.
Establishing dominance over other males to show sexual prowess.
You'll notice that cat-calls and whistles almost never happen when men are alone.

AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

The monkey on the left is damn badass, look at his eyes and protruding jaw!
TSDguy

Re: Feeling lucky?

Post by TSDguy »

Norm Abrahamson wrote:Just wondering, in the history of wolf whistles and "hubba hubbas" has any guy ever gotten lucky with that approach? Did any of you ladies ever hear a wolf whistle and decide that was the guy for you? Were any of you guys ever rewarded for a wolf whistle? If not, why repeat a pattern of behavior with a 0% success rate? Could it be because the real reason for the whistle is something else? What? Attempt to get a laugh or reaction? Attempt to demean? Attempt to intimidate? Showing off for friends?
I've seen it 'work'. Go to the strip in Myrtle beach, or even just Brighton Ave. near the bars, get a bunch of drunk college girls who want to have sex together, get a bunch of drunk college guys together, have them cat call at the girls, and as often as not, the girls play along.

Whatever you make of that, it's positive reenforcement for cat calling.
Ryokan

Post by Ryokan »

For anyone who's interested, there's a book titled "Back Off!" about the topic of sexual harassment.

Sometimes, according to the book, cat calling is a form of rape testing -- seeing by a woman's reaction whether she will be compliant or will fight back.
Norm Abrahamson

Too little too late

Post by Norm Abrahamson »

Hey, TS Guy,

Why didn't you tell me that 25 years ago?

Norm Abrahamson

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”