China Sanchin

Uechi-Ryu has 8 kata. Kata is a Japanese word for formal exercise.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

China Sanchin

Post by Van Canna »

From my student Seth
"Kingai sanchin" literally means "China sanchin," and he was led to believe that kingai was how sanchin was practiced in China.

He went on to tell me that Uehara's dojo is the only current one that teaches kingai - even the Okinawan dojos have dropped it. I can't remember if I ever showed you the video footage I shot from Uehara's school in 2004, but if you (or Vinny) would like a copy of that DVD, I'd be more than happy to rip one and send it your way.
I recall you teaching us China Sanchin last time you were here, Seth, but we would love to have the DVD.

It was some sanchin all right. :wink:
Van
Seth Rosenblatt

Post by Seth Rosenblatt »

I just want to stress that it is interesting to retain at least an understanding of what has been "dropped" from the "regular" training curriculum. There is also a white belt kata, the name of which I've forgotten, that was used to teach transitioning from sanchin stance to horse stance and back, that Uehara's dojo still uses.

None of this is meant to denigrate what I've learned in Boston or in Tokyo, but to enhance and perhaps keep a bit of a historical perspective for those interested. You might only use one recipe for a grilled steak, but it's good to know other ways to prepare it.

Be good...
/.s./
Seth Rosenblatt

Here's the link to the old thread on kingai:

http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... ht=#101451
John Giacoletti

China Sanchin

Post by John Giacoletti »

Is Seth's Instructor Uehara related to Kanbun Uechi's 2nd Student Saburo Uehara?

Master Gushi definately teaches the centerline striking points of the throat and groin with the wauke but not the cat stance in his Tsunami video series.
Shinyu Gushi, 9th Dan, began his study of Pangai Noon Uechi karate in the early fifties with instructors Saburo Uehara, Seiyu Shinjo, and Kanei Uechi, ...
I forwarded Seth's posts to my son and his response:
Quite interesting.

I/we have never stopped positioning the high-striking hand at the elbow before the circle block and Sensei Thompson teaches to advance into the turns before the waukes, as Seth mentions. But I have never seen nor heard of using cat stance for the waukes before. The footwork to move forward, pivot and asume the cat stance would be a bit awkward, but it's work experimenting some.
Some sort of video on this would indeed be welcome. I also wonder if Toyama Sensei can confirm this sanchin technique and the "white belt kata?"
There is much to make of every moment.
Seth Rosenblatt

Is Seth's Instructor Uehara related to Kanbun Uechi's 2nd Student Saburo Uehara?
yes. the uehara currently teaching in tokyo is the son of saburo.
/.s./
John Giacoletti

Uehara

Post by John Giacoletti »

Thank you, Seth for answering. :)
yes. the uehara currently teaching in tokyo is the son of saburo
Grandmaster Kanbun Uechi was a great karate teacher and it's interesting to see that the 2nd generation of his students vary in what they teach.
There is much to make of every moment.

Return to “Kata (All about Uechi Kata)”