Greetings!

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

AAG

Greetings!

Post by AAG »

Hello All-

My name is Adrian A. Gardner. I live in Allentown, PA, where I live with my wife, and two young sons. I work as a librarian for Trexler Library, the library for Muhlenberg College. I study Uechi-Ryu Karate under the tutleage of Stephen V. Drehobl, Yondan, a student of Kyoshi James Thompson, in Collegeville, PA. I have been training with Mr. Drehobl for nearly two years. I am an avid collector of martial arts books, and my collection spans three languages-chinese, english, and japanese. Most recently I acquired the 1977 Uechi-Ryu Kyohan-truly a wonderful, and comprehensive work! I am enamored of Uechi-Ryu Karate, and on a related note, of all those arts hailing from Fujian that have a form of Sanchin within their practice, including the Hakka arts. I have studied Japanese Karate-Washin-Ryu under Master Hidi Ochiai, and Shaolin Kempo Karate under Sigung Edward "Rudy" Duncan.
gmattson
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum

Post by gmattson »

Adrian. Thanks for the detailed information. I hope you will become a regular participant here.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
AAAhmed46

Re: Greetings!

Post by AAAhmed46 »

AAG wrote:Hello All-

My name is Adrian A. Gardner. I live in Allentown, PA, where I live with my wife, and two young sons. I work as a librarian for Trexler Library, the library for Muhlenberg College. I study Uechi-Ryu Karate under the tutleage of Stephen V. Drehobl, Yondan, a student of Kyoshi James Thompson, in Collegeville, PA. I have been training with Mr. Drehobl for nearly two years. I am an avid collector of martial arts books, and my collection spans three languages-chinese, english, and japanese. Most recently I acquired the 1977 Uechi-Ryu Kyohan-truly a wonderful, and comprehensive work! I am enamored of Uechi-Ryu Karate, and on a related note, of all those arts hailing from Fujian that have a form of Sanchin within their practice, including the Hakka arts. I have studied Japanese Karate-Washin-Ryu under Master Hidi Ochiai, and Shaolin Kempo Karate under Sigung Edward "Rudy" Duncan.

So we really are a hakka style then?
AAG

Re: Greetings!

Post by AAG »

So we really are a hakka style then?[/quote]

The original art that Kanbun Uechi studied in China is still awaiting discovery. As most of us know, the common folklore/history is that he studied Tiger Fist Boxing from Fujian Provine. I do not know if this is valid or not. Uechi-Ryu bears a passing resemblence to many arts still practiced in Fujian today. In my mind it also has many similarites to Chow Gar, a form of Southern Praying Mantis Fist, a Hakka art. Chow Gar has a Sanchin form called Sam Bo Jinn, or three step arrow. Best regards.

Return to “Member Introductions”