Lend Lease?

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Lend Lease?

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

At about two years into World War Two, the British People made a direct appeal to the American people and to the American Armed forces for Handguns, Rifles, and submachine guns that could be leant to the British Home Guard.

It should be noted that there were Springfield 1903's, American Enfields M98s, Lugers, 1911's and other weapons in the hands of American civilians after WWi.

Captured souvenirs or weapons that somehow were not returned to the military, if they could be hidden and transported in a Doughboy Duffle bag, constituted sources of military type weapons to Americans veterans owners after WWI. Many 1911's, P-17 and 1903 rifles simply did not return to Army stocks, and, at that time, the Army did not care, as long as the fact was not 'rubbed in their faces'.

A few Springfields remain to this day among the parade weapons of the American Legion. I have seen a few that still have not been "de-wat"'d in AML lockers.

Many AML members own and use their own M-1s in parades-although the carrying of such weapons in 'the street' (parades) was made legally questionable by the 1998 Mass. Gun Law. (well, after all, such a use is not 'target or hunting') How sad is that?

Even as late as 1999 a local AML member took notice of this and swore that they (the police) could put him in jail, but he was carrying his personal M-1 on parade regardless.

The local constabulary chose wisely to let this pass until the AML member could apply for and receive the proper license. He carried his weapon on parade. An exception for this purpose was later added to the law.

At least one pistol ( shown below) was, along with many others, lent to the British 'Home Guard" in the early post Dunkirk years of WWII.

This one served throughout the Second World War, with the Home Guard, and was duly and honestly returned to the individual donor with a note of thanks for the" assistance in ' the hour of our need'" from a Home Guard Unit Commander.

Colt Military & Police Cal. .38.

P-14 Enfield cal. .303.

The British showed their thanks by the post war shipping thousands of surplus P-14's, Mk IV, Mk V and Mk III Enfields to distributors in the US all the while confiscating personal and souvenir weapons from its own citizens, including the personal weapon of Britain's top WWII sniper. I think you can imagine his feelings on the matter.

Another example of the type of weapon that, although military in origin, would/could have been privately owned and lent is shown above.

All able bodied citizens are a de facto part of the "unorganized militia"under federal law?

In Britain this concept took the shape of the Home Guard when the call was made.

Although " a callup" of this sort was not undertaken in the US in WWII this remains a possible example of "a well regulated militia" as envisioned by the Second Amendment.

No doubt the arms sent to Britain were distributed by the Government.

How does this affect your view of the Second Amendment?

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

John

Very fascinating. Rich Castanet is our local expert here on the subject. I'll give him a buzz, and see if he can't fill you in on some interesting details.

- Bill
JOHN THURSTON

Please Do

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Also give me a buzz here if their arises any topic with respect to which I might be helpful on your forum..

I try to drop in frequently.

Yes, the Colt with the Thank You note went quickly when I was an FFL dealer.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”