And a resounding bye bye

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Hmmmm

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Mike:

I can certainly see where having two masters degrees puts one above being the level of a "buff" of history.

I promise that I will not hold that against you.

JT
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

mikemurphy wrote: It is what it is!
Yeah, but "It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is." :wink:

In any case, you have a right to be pleased and hopeful. Nothing wrong with that. Time will tell what it all meant.
Mike
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

There are things we don't know that we don't know.
every martial artist should look at least at this part , I think that quote was pretty golden really , in regards to life .

sure the only thing he really know is he knows nothing :lol: :lol: :roll: 8)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Actually to know there are things you don't know that you don't know is to know quite a bit. 8)
Stryke wrote:
the only thing he really know is he knows nothing

That's what two Ivy League degrees will get you. ;)

Should have gone to the University of Aukland, eh?

Te Whare Wananga o Tamaki Makaurau

- Bill
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

"I know nussing!!!" ;)

Last edited by Mary S on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

You watch Hogans Heroes in Canada?

Why would you do that when you can watch Gilligans Island dubbed in French? :lol:

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

haha...Fred. "I don't know!" :D
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Apparently, the exact quote is
"As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns; the ones we don't know we don't know." (Feb. 12, 2002)
As a mathematician I find this quote interesting, but not for the reason you might think. He's dividing the universe of statements relevant to the Iraq war using the two properties of knowledge and awareness,

A = {x | we are aware of x}
B = {x | we know whether x is true or false}

Then he claims that the intersections AB, AB', and A'B' are nonempty. This is certainly true. What I find interesting is that he leaves off A'B, i.e. things we are not aware that we know, which includes unanalyzed raw data and what we can infer but have not attempted to. This is precisely the case you'd want to deemphasize if you were he. I might be giving him too much credit...
Mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I guess I went to the wrong school.....

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

That's what two Ivy League degrees will get you.

Should have gone to the University of Aukland, eh?
sure wouldnt of hurt !!!
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

It will be interesting to see what happens with the accusation of war crimes against Rumsfeld.....

As those Dixie Chicks said "I'm not ready to make nice". Wonder if the world is....
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I don't know, Mary.

Everyone's been playing nice the past few days. Meet The Press had McCain and Lieberman on today. The message from them seemed to be a sound rejection of partisanship.

With all the low approval ratings of the president, the press has been strangely silent about the same polls which show Congress as having half the approval rating of GW. Ponder that for a bit. 8O People will read the election tea leaves whatever way their glasses make them. But IMO, the "throw the bums out" mood of a very active electorate on Tuesday did not bode well for the loud mouths. Names being thrown around for 2008 included McCain (Republican who Kerry tried to woo for VP), Romney (Republican governor of a Democratic state), Obama, Hillary (Democratic hawk), and a few others who know how to play the game of tiptoe through the tulips.

Sooner or later though it'll all go bust. This present generation doesn't seem to understand that the right to speak freely is not necessarily a license to abandon civility. A food fight is just around the corner. Fasten your seat belts! 8)

- Bill
JOHN THURSTON

I didn't know

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Well:

I guess a comment regarding some prior posts is in order.

"Sometimes i know nothing so effectively that I do not even know that I know nothing'
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

There was debate earlier in this thread about just what the mid-term election message was from the voters, and where the Democrats would go with their new majority. Ideally the new leaders in Congress would reflect the wishes of the electorate - whatever those might be at this point in time.

Well... I'll just let this speak for itself.

- Bill
Nancy Pelosi was unanimously elected today to become the next Speaker of the House of Representatives, but rank-and-file Democrats rejected her hand-picked choice for Majority Leader.

In secret balloting, Rep. Steny Hoyer, of Maryland, Pelosi's longtime rival, was elected to the No. 2 position over Rep. John Murtha, of Pennsylvania. Murtha is a confidante of Pelosi and an early critic of the Bush administration's handling of the war in Iraq. Hoyer won 149 to 86.
- USA Today
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

My personal view is that the electorate was in a "throw the bums out" mood fairly typical of a 6-year point in a 2-term presidential reign. But particularly where multiple elections across the country are won by slim margins, the message isn't a "mandate" to extreme wings of a party's coalition. Quite the contrary, it often is an effort of the independents, populists, and libertarians to yank either party away from their extreme wings.

To that point..
Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer emerged as the new House Majority Leader

but not before a Democratic fight that showed the political dangers of Rep. Nancy Pelosi's risk-taking leadership style as the incoming speaker.

Defying the odds, the California Democrat interceded personally on behalf of Pennsylvania Rep. John Murtha, Mr. Hoyer's challenger, who had helped galvanize public support for his party in the midterm elections by speaking out against the Iraq war.

Mr. Hoyer was always the safer choice for the caucus as the current No. 2 in the Democratic leadership. But the size of his 149-86 victory yesterday is a blow to Mrs. Pelosi
Also worth noting...
Republicans Friday chose Rep. John Boehner as minority leader, succeeding Speaker Dennis Hastert in the top party leadership post for the Democratic-controlled House that convenes in January.

Mr. Boehner defeated Indiana conservative Mike Pence. The vote tally was not immediately announced. Mr. Boehner's election cements the Ohio conservative's resurrection within Republican leadership ranks.
- Bill

Sources: AP and AP

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”