Goodbye Brant

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Goodbye Brant

Post by Dana Sheets »

With great saddness I read the note on the homepage that Brant was killed in a motorcycle accident last week. I had a chance to train with Brant a couple of times during brief business trips out to San Diego for work.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family. When I met him they all lived on a sailboat in the harbour - choosing as a family to focus on what is really important in life.

Brant is on the far left of the frame.

I hope you rest easy Brant.
Did you show compassion today?
Joe Graziano

Post by Joe Graziano »

Well said Dana! Brant's many friends on the west coast join you in extending condolances to the family of our Uechi family friend.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Joe. Do you know if anyone was able to contact his friend Ralph? I don't think he was training with anyone on a regular basis so I'm not sure he knows. I don't even know Ralph's last name.
------------------------
the below is from Brant's website...
My training philosophy

The views expressed here is my personal belief in martial-arts training and does not necessarily reflect training beliefs of other Uechi dojos or their instructors.

My philosophy on training is such that we work together to become better, but not at the expense of others. Each practioner at this dojo should strive to help fellow students become the best they can be, and encourage each other to continually learn new lessons that the technique has to offer. Our goal should not be to usurp, or try to prove our ability at the expense of another student. We push our limits in order to help one another be the best we can be.

In this dojo, one begins at the basics and works slowly to improve and add to their skills. To the untrained eye, some may think the boring redundant movement unnecessary and a waste of time, but it is only through mass repetition of basic technique, in a quest to perfect that technique, that anything but a flail can be obtained under pressure. As such, we continually strive to perfect the seemingly simple, yet elusive techniques of Uechi-Ryu.

Our body conditioning may first appear to be cruel or harsh, but it too, develops slowly over time. It is only through repeated years of dedicated practice one can hope to achieve solid results and a practioner can only expect to reap the result equal to the intensity of which they train.

We study technique that emphasizes realistic close-in conflict. This dojo does not participate in tournament fighting or contests. We perform kata (pre-arranged solo moves and techniques), two-person sets consisting of offensive and defensive techniques with others, and body conditioning.

It is unrealistic to expect one will not suffer some injuries when training in the martial arts, but if conducted properly, Uechi-Ryu offers a traditional art-form that one can do the rest of their life. If you are looking for sport fighting or the opportunity to prove your ability to beat someone up, there are many of such places which will take your money. At this dojo, we train for the love of the art, and continued work on our inner and outer selves.

I make no claims of ability or perfection in this art. I am yet another student, who promises to share with my students, what has been shared with me. My wish is that those who study this art can use it to help make them a better person, both inside and out.

As Master Uechi said, "The purpose of Karate training is to discipline mind and body, and to perfect the art of self-defense.

Brant L. Christianson
Sandan,
Chief Instructor,
Christianson's Martial Arts Studio
http://homepage.mac.com/bc64/cmas/Menu13.html
Joe Graziano

Post by Joe Graziano »

Dana,

I'm sure Paul (our good friend Dr. Paul Haydu, Chairman of IUKF) has notified Ralph of the very sad news of Brant's passing.

Brant enjoyed training with Jerry & Paul's fine group in San Diego - as we in Los Alamitos also do.

All of Brant's Uechi family mourn the loss of this fine man and send our thoughts and prayers to his wife Lynn, and his daughters Jenn and Alicia.

So glad you had the opportunity to train with Brant and his many friends on the west coast during your visit last year Dana.

Please come again.

Joe
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Joe. I know he was proud to be your student.
-dana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”