Iron Geta Training

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Iron Geta Training

Post by Dana Sheets »

It was recently pointed out to me that what geta do that ankle weights don't do is to strengthen the tendons and ligaments in the ankle and the hip. All good IMO.

I'm not really sure of any particular Uechi tradition in iron geta training - I've actually never seen them used in a Uechi class.
Iron Geta Training

Introduction
Iron Getas are used to supplement Karate training. They are used to strengthen the legs and the spirit of ones karate. Iron Geta should always be used on the ground first and only after a complete routine can be followed should they be used in standing exercises.

Each individual port of the technique is to be completed 50 times correctly prior to advancing to the next portion of the technique or the following technique.

Iron Geta training should consist of training for one hour a day three days a week. The training should begin with a ten to fifteen minute warm-up. This is then followed by a set sequence of exercises to work a full range of all kicks.

Warm-Ups

1. Balancing on the foot without Geta perform fifty leg raises with knee all the way to chest.
2. Swing foot with Geta front to back fifty times.
3. Raise foot to outside in straight leg manner, fifty times.

Exercises

1. Lying on your back bring knee to chest fifty times. Straighten leg each time and do not allow foot to touch ground until complete.
2. Lying on your back bring knee to chest, chamber leg and thrust kick straight up in the air fifty times. Straighten leg each time and do not allow foot to touch ground until complete.
3. Lying on side, leg with Geta on top. Raise leg slightly off of ground an bring knee up to chest. Do not allow leg to touch ground until complete.
4. Lying on side, leg with Geta on top. Raise leg slightly off of ground and bring knee up to chest, chamber leg at chest. Thrust kick outward fifty times.
5. Kneeling on all fours (hands and knees), raise knee to chest fifty times. Try to touch knee to chest each time.
6. Kneeling on all fours (hands and knees), raise knee to chest chamber leg and back kick fifty times.
http://www.japankarate.net/basics.php
Did you show compassion today?
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

http://www.karate.org.yu/articles/Hojo%20undo.htm

These are iron clogs, used to strengthen kicking techniques.

The Tetsu-geta or iron sandals, for leg strength and kicking. (Much better for foot strength than modern ankle weights. The foot actually must grip the sandal, and the weight is at the far extremity of the limb, adding to the difficulty of the device. Because of this, fast kicking, which would be dangerous to the joints if using ankle weights, is not possible, and therefore the use of the tetsu-geta is preferred to the modern devices.)
http://www.bushifitness.com/equipment.htm
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I really wouldn't recommend them :( ....I used them but I believe that it was one of the factors that led to me needing an artificial hip. :wink:
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

How did you train with them?

My understanding is that all movements should be done slowly - within your standard range of motion (i.e. don't use them to "stretch") and that since you are focusing on the ligaments and tendons first - that you should start with low reps and then after a few months begin to build up to more reps.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ok to be fair they weren't Geta, as such but weight lifting boots. The type that you attach to your shoes, very similar to Geta
, but I did kick slow with them to start, then built up doing a set of 10 front kicks, 10 side and 10 roundhouse, I'd do about 5 sets of that with other stuff as well. Basically punching with weights, doing crunches with the boots on etc.....when you take the boots off and kick the speed of your kick is unbelievable :lol: .this was many years ago :cry: .but i believe that if you concentrate too much on kicking that some damage to your hips is inevitable. folks like Chuck Norris, Billy Blanks and Bill Wallace.have all had hip replacements...and they were all fantastic kickers in their day.............so having had a hip replacement/resurfacing operation myself .........I would strongly recommend that folks take great care in their kicking practise :wink:
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I knew one guy who had a hip replacement and he blamed it on how men get in and out of a car.

A woman for example (maybe not true in all cases) will sit and spin in the seat bringing in her legs.

A man will generally stick his hip down and in, Fall on his hip and butt and then drag in his legs.

So here is an excuse to watch women get in their cars and see if I'm right!
:lol:
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”