Naming Our Teachers

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Naming Our Teachers

Post by Dana Sheets »

Take a moment and think of your teachers.
Inside the dojo
Outside
Within your family
Among your friends
Spiritual leaders
Spouses
Strangers
Animals
Plants
Water
Mountains
Skies
Stars

In different venues and times we find different teachers for different needs. At times, our detractors may be our teachers and our supports may lead us astray.

At times, when thinking of my various teachers I remember lessons that I've forgotten to practice, things I've forgotten to improve.

Some are mundane - such as doing laundry more often, taking out the trash, washing the bathtub,

Others are relationship-based - listending to others with a quiet mind instead of one full of useless chatter, assuming error instead of malice, forgiveness.

And still others are physical - making better food choices, sleeping enough, drinking less, exercise

And finally the spiritual - meditation, communion, reflection.

The longer I live the more teachers I seem to find.
Did you show compassion today?
eric235u

Post by eric235u »

i think that was a lovely, mindfull, and inspiring post.

at times it's hard to remember to see and listen to the teachers.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

and today I am reminded of what may be the greatest teacher of all...

change.
Did you show compassion today?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

yeah that is quite profound :) ......I think that sometimes when we think of one aspect of our life and then apply it to another it can be quite meaningful 8) ..................I think with martial arts this is especially so.............when we look for a none-violent solution to a violent situation based on life strategies...............or when we try to find a solution based on weakness rather than strength.if you look at martial arts like that .then you can see the true meaningfulness of exercises like "pushing hands".......which are really not about strength.or Aikido.......and after many years of application and practise Kata :wink:

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”