Uechi Throws from the revised OKK Blue Book

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

You guys should all switch to Shotokan, we have lots of throws in both our book and kata.

Shotokan, the mother of all martial arts!
Mike do you want to grade me :lol: , I`d give it a try it sounds neato :roll: 8) :wink: :twisted:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Now - I'm not saying that 100% of what is said about some of the more popular Okinawan systems applies to Uechi. However, I am saying that if the whole island was doing tegumi...then it may be in the realm of possibility that throwing was a "you understood" in the language of fighitng for Okinawans.

Everyone knew how it was being used, so nobody had to really talk about it.

Know what I mean?
Dana I think the fndamental flaw in your position is that karate , and particualrly Uechi is a chinese . I`ve gone the Mcarthy and Tegumi road , I`m applicative in approach , and it takes a paradigm shift , and some hard work , but it does seem obvious looking back .

the throws are there , look at the chinese arts and youll find them in Uechi too . But of course JMHO

I do not think Uechi is predominantly striking .

maybe your point was they are there but werent possibly passed on because of it being general knowledge ?

with this I would agree , but I`d be even more inclcined to say because of intentional direct change in teaching and purpose they werent passed on .
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Isn't "grabbing" when done properly a balance displacment? -- either by pull, push, or pain reaction?
Absolutely Dana , thats probably why I see so much throwing potnetial in Uechi

theres so much In Uechi , the hands always working in Unison IMHO , this to me is very much Kuzushi to me , the circling aspect to Uechi moves just adds to this , the pull and push in combination , add it with movement .

Just a beautiful fnctional style on many levels IMHO

Interesting take on Goju BTW , I always felt it half way between Uechi and Shotokan ( just a feel not really anything more), interesting take on grappling though , I`ve seen a lot of Goju apps , my instinct with Uechi is it seems even closer range wise so even more grabbing could entail .

Interesting thread
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

maybe your point was they are there but werent possibly passed on because of it being general knowledge ?
Yes - that's what I'm saying.
Did you show compassion today?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I don't know why that would happen. According to Oshima the throws in Funakoshi's book fell by the wayside since most of the Japanese taking karate already had some Judo. But I can't see why something would get dropped just because everybody already knew it. But I've been wrong once before.
I was dreaming of the past...
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I've done wing-chun and Tai-chi and when folks say throwing I think they really mean pushing and pulling over :D .ok there are other techniques in the system but if you take Tai-chi as the example then there is a heck of a lot more pushing
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

MikeK wrote:I don't know why that would happen. According to Oshima the throws in Funakoshi's book fell by the wayside since most of the Japanese taking karate already had some Judo. But I can't see why something would get dropped just because everybody already knew it. But I've been wrong once before.
I think thats one of MANY factors, and not a stand alone circumstance.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”