Reality Check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Dave Young

Reality Check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Dave Young »

We encourage every person to have a personal survival statement. And inside this mission statement is their commitment to stay fit. Not just physically but mentally as well.

We have many people who attend our classes and find out a few hours into it that maybe the level of physical conditioning that thought was enough in reality isn't.

But isn't that the way it is with many things...how you think something is one way, might be totally different when you do it for real.

Over the holidays I was able to experience this a few different ways. One short story was just before Xmas while walking in NYC downtown during the holidays I was at a cafe eating, when a loud argument broke out a few feet away from me between 2 men sitting at opposite tables who were talking to a woman. 1 man was the husband of the woman who was about 6'2, 220, of average shape, and the other man was no relation to either and was slightly taller and bigger then the other man.

When the argument got louder it tuned into a physical altercation (fight) when the bigger man jumped up and ran towards the other man siting with his wife with clinched fists and as he got closer to the man he swung his hand and knocked the other man out of his chair...the woman sat there is awe along with a few of the other patrons...

When the man hit the ground on his back the bigger man stood over him and continued to beat him for about 15 seconds during this time the manager of the cafe ran over to break the fight up and the waiter using his cell called the police. Myself and another person safely pulled the bigger man off and broke up the fight seconds before the police arrived.

When the police took statements from everyone, I over heard the man who was beaten up make a few replies. When he was asked what happened....he explained his version of course, he said the man just ran over with no warning and started beating on him. When the he was asked why he didn't defend himself he said.....you know it happened so fast, I didn't know what to do..I even train in martial arts and couldn't remember what to do...I thought he was going to kill me!

Hummmmm now since this could have happened to anyone of us reading this, I guess his reality was not the same one of the real world. This often happens when you only stay in the training world and never venture out to be exposed to anything else.

Training without stress inoculation is only a fire drill without the fire...

This is the transition training needs to take in order to make sure a person is ready for the real bell....Ding....Ding...
Dave
Stay Safe, Stay Strong, STAY ALIVE!
mhosea

Re: Reality Check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mhosea »

Dave Young wrote: Training without stress inoculation is only a fire drill without the fire...

This is the transition training needs to take in order to make sure a person is ready for the real bell....Ding....Ding...
So what is the "transition training"? I know this is part of what you address in your classes, but can we do anything on our own? I don't know if this is a workable thing in self-defense terms, but I am reminded of one of my math professors, Max Schauck, who was a Navy pilot and flight instructor and is now a stunt pilot and a researcher in alternative aviation fuels. You can't afford the latest equipment on a math professor's salary, so his planes were often "fixer-uppers". He's had several engine failures. So I asked him one day, "Why is it that you can have a half-dozen engine failures in small aircraft and always come through unscathed, while the average joe seems to die more often than not in the crash from just one failure?" He responded that it was simple--he was always looking for a place to land. So one thing that struck me about your anecdote was that this guy wasn't looking for a place to land. He just assumed the guy wouldn't attack, even after voices were raised, and so he was forced to respond to his emergency without a plan.
Mike
Dave Young

Re: Reality Check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Dave Young »

mhosea wrote:
Dave Young wrote: Training without stress inoculation is only a fire drill without the fire...

So what is the "transition training"? I know this is part of what you address in your classes, but can we do anything on our own?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Mhose,

There are ALWAYS things you can do on your own, but some of it is only done with and through a professional that has both the field experience who can give you the technical knowledge and tactical applications that will work. NOT someone who has one without the other, and there are many out there who fit into the one without the other category.

The term "transitional training," is where you actually have to perform the techniques in the environments you are going to be required to perform them in, and with the intensity and stress level equaled to the reality.

It is a state of mind to have a plan and commitment to be prepared to act when your life is threaten, to know the early warning signs BEFORE the attack, then to pull from your experiences to act in a manner that is favorable to put you in the position of advantage.

I hope that answered your questions. Thanks
Dave
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

There are ALWAYS things you can do on your own, but some of it is only done with and through a professional that has both the field experience who can give you the technical knowledge and tactical applications that will work. NOT someone who has one without the other, and there are many out there who fit into the one without the other category.
This is what has always bothered me about the claims of traditional teachers. And for a student of street realities it is a valid concern.

Does TMA give us great tools? Yes_

Will they work in street combat? Yes and No_ depending on who you are and how you absorb the concepts.

For the smart student, he will do much better cross training the tactical, physical and mental dynamics of confrontations instead of knocking the ‘experts’ _
It is a state of mind to have a plan and commitment to be prepared to act when your life is threaten,[sic] to know the early warning signs BEFORE the attack, then to pull from your experiences to act in a manner that is favorable to put you in the position of advantage.
Think about it_ anyone who will argue against this, as it has been _ on these forums over the years, is a can short of a six pack, and you want to distance yourself from him/her as soon as possible. :wink:
Van
Dave Young

Van here is a good way of looking at it!

Post by Dave Young »

Van Canna wrote:
This is what has always bothered me about the claims of traditional teachers. And for a student of street realities it is a valid concern.

Does TMA give us great tools? Yes_

Will they work in street combat? Yes and No_ depending on who you are and how you absorb the concepts.

For the smart student, he will do much better cross training the tactical, physical and mental dynamics of confrontations instead of knocking the ‘experts’ _
It is a state of mind to have a plan and commitment to be prepared to act when your life is threaten,[sic] to know the early warning signs BEFORE the attack, then to pull from your experiences to act in a manner that is favorable to put you in the position of advantage.
Think about it_ anyone who will argue against this, as it has been _ on these forums over the years, is a can short of a six pack, and you want to distance yourself from him/her as soon as possible. :wink:
------------------------------------------------------------
A student once put it like this...."You know I have been to other training programs, and classes that preach survival, and have even paid to listen to people who have had to save their life, and others who have never been in a fight for their life...and all I can say is this.....If I have to get my car fixed, I am going to a mechanic, not someone who has spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express!....lol :rofl:

I think if people really look at why they are learning to defend themselves then their true search will not stop. Education(What you have been told) and Knowledge (what you know to be true) is the foundation of learning; not only what you know now but what you have yet begun to learn!...Just another thought!
Dave
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Competence is the result of training and experience .

one doesnt replace the other

Return to “Realist Training”