Sneaky Circle

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Sneaky Circle

Post by Dana Sheets »

An interesting, if somewhat specific, take on the Uechi wa-uke.
http://www.grapplinghook.org/archives/2 ... rcle-grab/
Did you show compassion today?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I think that it is written a bit wrong :? .surely he means that your right hand goes under the oncoming right arm ( same position as a handshake :D )
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Nope - I think he means a same side grab. So as I'm facing bad guy, my left hand will circle and latch onto his right arm and I'll stand in front of him and pound him in the face.

This is definitely as "straight down the tubes," jerk'em and smash'em kind of xing-yi type interpretation.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Sorry don't get it :?

"If your goal is to pre-emptively gain control of the opponent’s right arm and get to his blind side, and start punching with your right arm, then the left circle block seems just about perfect."

Well you won't get to his blind side.you'll be head on :? :? .......I would have thought it would make more sense to circle with your right against his right....then you will truly be on his blind side, and he will be very limited in how he can respond 8)
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Interesting take on the wa-uke and one I've thought about myself. I've never been impressed with the wa-uke as a block as it isn't very efficient with all the hand dropping circle business. It takes the long way around and in some cases has you even dropping your guard, but the grab coming in below the line of sight and gaining the blind side makes more sense and fits in with the pointy thing strikes better.

But then what do I know? :lol:
I was dreaming of the past...
gmattson
Site Admin

For what it is worth...

Post by gmattson »

I don't believe you will ever perform the circle movement as you do in the kata. You are simply reinforcing general movements. When something comes at you... punch or kick, your reflexes (hopefully) will kick in and you will use whatever part of the circle you need to intercept the attack and do whatever else you need to do.

I teach the drills the same way. Anyone attempting to use a full circle, as performed in sanchin kata, against an incoming attack will have a very difficult time being successful.

Try not to perform the full circle when actually using the circle. You might be surprised how effective this movement is when, like an intercepting movement controlled by radar, the circle is reduced to "what is needed", not what is done in the kata.

Some may say you will do what you practice and this is true... but not necessarily in the exact form you practice.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Yeah that makes sense :) ...more of a spiral than a circle perhaps?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I prefer to think use whatever is closest in the most direct way possible.

But what do I know?
I was dreaming of the past...
CANDANeh

Interceptor, shear, deflection, push, "energy seeker&qu

Post by CANDANeh »

The block starts with your arm pointed down about how you’d be posed if you were saying “Hey, look a quarter on the sidewalk”, but point all your fingers instead of just your index finger. Then you do the ‘wax on’ block from The Karate Kid, moving your hand across your body, up, around, and down, finishing with your hand approximately in front of your shoulder.
But you know...The so called "low block" may not be the original intent either. It slips down so nice for an in tight groin grab (hand certainly is at right height )...It gets under an incoming grab for some interesting applications. It helps you move away from a threat. It can be almost anything and it`s only part of a one movement of many.
Léo
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

So you've got this big ole circle folks call the wa-uke (or hirate mawashi uke), and in sanseiryu you've got this mix-it-up juggle-y figure 8 hand trapping movement, (big circle, little circle, little circle, big circle) (watari-uke), and you've got the pivoting about the circle stepping/body shifting. (tenshin/tai sabaki)

and then you've got the two major Uechi axioms:
all is in sanchin
use only what you need

fun, ain't it?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”