THE ONLY WRONG ANSWER IS ONE you do not voice!

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Dave Young

THE ONLY WRONG ANSWER IS ONE you do not voice!

Post by Dave Young »

4 opponents stand across from each other.

Opponent A - is well skilled in his style of fighting but has never been in a fight in his life, has been in martial arts tournaments (won some and lost some), and is a daily practioner of his weapons, physically fit, attends various schools yearly and when time permits he teaches, ability to break boards, bricks and bats, even sets time aside each day to hone his skills;;

Opponent B - Has been in several fights for his life, in bars, malls, parking lots, dance clubs, stays in good to average physical shape, usually spends 2-3 day per month in a fight for his life, read magazines, books, purchases videos, and has watched several documentaries on how to survive.

Opponent C - Has watched 1000 of hours of fights, and has researched over 100 different fighting styles, works out daily, read and self educates when possible, has a steady job in the work place from 8-5pm, trains when his time allots, has a mental attitude of well if this happens to me I will do this, has never ben in a fight or played a contact sport (GOLF IS NOT A CONTACT SPORT I DO NOT CARE HOW BADLY YOU PLACE OR PART OF TOWN YOU ARE IN...lol)

Opponent D - Military Trained, hones skills regularly, been in a multitude of fights for his life, is in good to average physical shape, trains 3-4 time per week, studies various styles of fighting, understands the dynamic of a fight and the personal sacrifice needed to make decisions under stress, has a mental attitude of when this happens to me I will do this!

I am sure you could describe more profiles then these but this is a good starting place.....If in a real fight which one would win and why? Just a thought!
Dave
Stay Safe, Stay Strong, STAY ALIVE!
gmattson
Site Admin

I think this is a rather easy exercise Dave...

Post by gmattson »

The guy who has "survived" the most fights is the guy I'd like to have as my backup.

Good examples though and. . . I hope my answer is wrong! :)
Last edited by gmattson on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Dave Young

Re: I think this is a rather easy exercise Dave...

Post by Dave Young »

gmattson wrote:The guy who has "survived" the most fights is the guy I'd like to have as my backup.

Good exercise though and I hope my answer is wrong! :)
-----------------------------------------------------

George,

This was a trick question to start off with, as only one part of the equation was mentioned.

George,

This was a trick question to start off with, as only one part of the equation was mentioned.

Add additional factors like;

1. Height and weight of the subjects
2. Rules of the encounter or fight
3. Area where this would take place
4. Weapons either used or accessible
5. Time of day or night or early morning
6. Weather or climate conditions
7. Location of the fight/encounter
8. Length of time (timed or no time)
9. Any physical impairments on either of the fighters (eyes, hearing, existing injuries etc...)
10..Personal confidence level of the fighter

Just to name a few!

If these are added in they could change the initial pick of your winner....Again just a thought!
Dave
gmattson
Site Admin

OK...

Post by gmattson »

I guess the skill of the people "D" fought would also be an important factor.

However, being in the military would rule out many of his possible physical limitations and I don't think his fights would have been with little ol ladies in a nursing home. I'll stick with my answer.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Dave Young

Re: OK...

Post by Dave Young »

gmattson wrote:I guess the skill of the people "D" fought would also be an important factor.

However, being in the military would rule out many of his possible physical limitations and I don't think his fights would have been with little ol ladies in a nursing home. I'll stick with my answer.
-----------------------------------------------------------

OK Then "D" is your final answer!...Thanks George
Dave
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

If in a real fight which one would win and why? Just a thought!
the one with the best tactics , most ability , and mental fortitude , and a good dose of luck .

none of your descriptions give a valid indication of any of these attributes .

hey Maybe the bar brawler wins because he`s the best and blindsiding folk in a bar .... Maybe the MA geek preempts too , maybe the military man ***** without an M 16 .

I say they can all win and they can all loose , and theres no magic pill here .
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

Okay, Dave- let's matrix this:

Which time frame of fight?

Who will most susccesfully pull off an ambush?
Who will most successfully survive an ambush?
Who will respond best with a little a warning?
Who will do best in a face to face duel?

Four different things.

Then each of those time frames will be modified by the rules of engagement / acceptable level of injury.

Is lethal force authorized?
Is injury acceptable?
Are you expected to finish the fight without injury? (Drunken uncle scenario or struggling patient)

Three different modifiers on the four different time frames make twelve totally different ways to fight.

The soldier (D) will do great on a lethal-force raid, probably not so well responding to an ambush at a non-lethal level.

The martial artist (A) may do very well in a non-lethal duel and may freeze-or may not- in an ambush. The profile, however, shows discipline and I can almost certainly get him up to speed where he has the holes.

I think C is the only one who will be useless across the board. IME people who are that obsessed with combat but never cross hands, not even in play, are both worthless and annoying. Your mileage may vary.

The four possible answers (A,B,C,D) are simple. The question depends on the type of fight and really isn't so simple.

Rory
Dave Young

Great comments.....more definitions

Post by Dave Young »

A Real fight - The fight we are talking about is a fight for their life in the reality of the world we live in!

No rules- Anything applies, biting, eye gouging, choking, spitting, clawing, hair pulling, groin striking;

Weapons if they have them, or can get access to them either conventional or unconventional;

No time frame or limit, no one to interfere, they are by themselves;

And since this is a real fight the opponent is an unknown....height, weight, strength, skill level, training or experience, all an unknown....

The direction we take this conversation can be many........

Please continue to add....Thanks
Dave
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Posted by Dave:

"This was a trick question to start off with, as only one part of the equation was mentioned."

"which one would win and why?"

I think they would all win. Here are some of the prizes they might win:

Grieving relatives, jail time, PTSD, hospital time, images that never go away, injury including permanent and crippling, loss of confidence in awareness, a compulsion to second guess every action, thought and emotion that occured before, during and after the "fight", hypervigilance, fear of overreacting to provocation, emotional numbness, alchoholism/drug dependence, etc.
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

And then, B and D have been in a whole bunch of "fights for their life", and B even has a "fight for his life" once a month, so I guess B is the predator, or already in jail, and D probably doesn't really have anything to lose anyway, by that time he's just a walking zombie of instinct and pragmatic movement. :lol:

Return to “Realist Training”