Reformatting

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

CANDANeh

Reformatting

Post by CANDANeh »

Hi
I haven`t reformatted since bought our system (2.5 yrs) Windows XP and from searches and talking to others they tell me I could do it as have basic skills and can follow directions. Heard many tips but still unsure. Is it worth the cost of paying to have it done? What is the worst I could do if I did it myself?
Léo
gmattson
Site Admin

Good question

Post by gmattson »

My laptop is about 4 years old. 2 years ago the hard drive was full of old programs and lots of other junk I seldom used. When attempting to install a new version of ACT! in 2005, I had to spend days with tech support from both Act and MS before the MS level 1 (these guys actually take over control of your computer which is neat - you just sit there watching the techie do his/her magic) finally determined the only thing to do was re-format!

You must reinstall all programs, which can be a real pain, after a full format. (the partial format didn't work). But after a week of work my laptop worked much faster. Reformating also gives you an opportunity to clean out the hard drive/s.

The biggest problem with formatting is re installing of programs.

Let us know how you make out.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
tigereye

Post by tigereye »

Tips to maintain your disks

To create free space and increase access speed use Disk Defragmenter.Defregmenter rearranging files stored on a disk.
A badly defragmented hard drive is like a bookstore run by a disorganized proprietor.
Monthly Defregmentation is necessary as a good preventative maintenance.

To open Disk Defragmenter
-click Start
-go to All Programs
-go to Accessories
-choose System Tools and then click Disk Defragmenter.

An other tool to create free space on your hard disk is the Disk Cleanup tool which searching your disk for files that you can safely delete.You can choose to delete some or all of the files.

To open Disk Cleanup tool do the following steps:

-Click Start,
-go to All Programs
-point to Accessories
-choose System Tools and then click Disk Cleanup.

The scan result will give you an idea how much space you can free up.
Click on the More Option tab next /you find it in the same window next to the Disk Cleanup tabs/

In the new window you will find the options to
- remove Windows components
- remove installed programs
- remove restore points.
If you wish to remove something click on clean up .
Eva
CANDANeh

Good advice Eva

Post by CANDANeh »

I use those tools often and esp. after children have added/removed large programs it helps a great deal.
getting ready to reformat after saving stuff I "think" I need. If I don`t return you will know why :lol:
Léo
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks Eva

Post by gmattson »

Good advice. What do you think of the commercial "repair" programs, like PCdoc and RegMechanic?

The MS techie suggested that I shouldn't use them.
GEM
CANDANeh

Little tip

Post by CANDANeh »

When you buy a system write down that code (product key) that is on the XP sticker on side of tower...25 numbers and digits that get rather difficult to read from scuffing and they are sooooo small. You need it to reformat.
Léo
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Someone told me the other day, and I believe it to be true :)
that you should keep a "ghost" copy of your programs so that you simply have to fire in the disk and run the programs to reinstall....saves time and tears!! :)

(From someone who had to buy a new computer on Saturday because her hard drive died Wednesday.....lots of tears!!!)
tigereye

Re: Thanks Eva

Post by tigereye »

gmattson wrote:Good advice. What do you think of the commercial "repair" programs, like PCdoc and RegMechanic?

The MS techie suggested that I shouldn't use them.
Hi George,

There are different opinions on registry cleaners.Personally I don't use any..

Tech.guys suggesting not to use.
They say that registry cleaner usually don't cause damage but when your Windows registry get damaged can corrupt your whole system and make it unusable.

If you decide to use a registry cleaner to remove unwanted entries try out a few before purchasing one.
There are always trial versions available.
If you prefer to use free registry cleaner than make sure that it has the
following features /this counts for all registry cleaner/:

-Automatic scanning of the registry and its cleanup
-Backup of the full registry
backup function help you backup your registry before
cleaning it, in case of a system failure.
-and has start up organizer

Please note!!!!
However, you do have the option to delete files it is always safer to have a backup.
Send the files first to the recycle bin /see registry cleaner option/,
just in case you need to reinstall one of them. After restart your computer and everything works fine you can empty the recycle bin.
Eva
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Mary S wrote:Someone told me the other day, and I believe it to be true :)
that you should keep a "ghost" copy of your programs so that you simply have to fire in the disk and run the programs to reinstall....saves time and tears!! :)

(From someone who had to buy a new computer on Saturday because her hard drive died Wednesday.....lots of tears!!!)
Very true Mary. If one makes a ghost copy when the system is new and running A1 then you have a something. Just found that out last night.
Léo
tigereye

Post by tigereye »

Mary S wrote:Someone told me the other day, and I believe it to be true :)
Hi Mary,

This called disk cloning.

Norton Ghost 10.0 is one of the program to make backup of your hard disk.
Check it out!It is for Windows XP and 2000 only.

--
gmattson
Site Admin

An option??

Post by gmattson »

I just purchased a 200 gig removable hard drive (Western digital "My Book") and "thought" I backed up my entire laptop by using M.S. "file and settings transfer wizard".

From the looks of it, all I would have to do, if my hard drive failed, would be a)replace the HD, b)copy the "setup" and files from my backup drive and run "setup".

Will this reproduce everything, including the operating system to the new hard drive?
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks Eva...

Post by gmattson »

Glad I asked the question. Looks like I'll have to go for the "ghost" program.

Are there any other options? My program budget is about "0" now. Any freeware/shareware programs that you know about?
GEM
tigereye

Re: Thanks Eva...

Post by tigereye »

gmattson wrote:Glad I asked the question. Looks like I'll have to go for the "ghost" program.

Are there any other options? My program budget is about "0" now. Any freeware/shareware programs that you know about?
No sorry,I don't know any freeware/shareware program...but will look after.
Eva

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”