SummerFest 2007

Here's the place to offer suggestions for future SummerFests & WinterFests, talk about past events, post pictures and videos or share experiences from past Fests.

Moderator: gmattson

gmattson
Site Admin

SummerFest 2007

Post by gmattson »

Hope everyone is thinking about the upcoming SummerFest for 2007. The dates are July 27-29th and the place is the Mass Maritime Academy in Bourne, MA.

I never know who will show up, but the regulars can always be counted on to provide the "best of the best" material from all the familiar subjects we have come to appreciate and look forward to practicing.

My "core" Uechi program has taken on some new subjects while retaining all the important basics that my seminars have become known for. After so many years of trying to "pin down" the breathing explanations, I've become comfortable explaining it finally and after 50+ years, feel that the secret (if we wish to call it that) remains in Sanchin.

By now, all you "frequent flyers" here on Uechi-ryu.com know, running an annual camp cannot happen without "you". We need support from all the martial artist who practice and enjoy "crossing arms" with other players from other dojo and other systems.

This year we will once again have a full Uechi-ryu schedule; one that will keep all ranks busy and productively exploring the system. We are hoping that teachers of other systems will again be joining us to share what they are doing and in the process learn more about Uechi-ryu.

Of course, one of the main reasons people come back year after year is to meet new people and renew old friendships.

The only way the SummerFest formula can continue is:
1. Sign up early yourself.
2. Get your dojo to support the event. Get your friends to join you and encourage them to get their friends involved. Consider renting a bus to take your dojo's group to Bourne this year.
3. If you have something of value that you wish to teach in a one hour seminar, contact me ASAP with a brief description of your seminar
4. Get the kids in your dojo to sign-up for Jr. Fest on Saturday. A full day of excitement and martial arts.
5. Don't wait. Please.... do it now!

Thanks,
George E. Mattson
chef

Post by chef »

Oh, George, thank you for posting that picture. Boy, does that picture bring back a multitude of memories. I love camp! I have only missed maybe three out of the last 10 due to surgery and family issues. I look forward to it every year. I had to miss last year so am looking forward to this one with even more zeal.

If any of you are on the fence about whether to go or not, decide in favor. I assure you, you will not regret it. Come learn new and applicabe slants on Uechi....rekindle former friendships as well as meet and establish new ones with like-minded, karate lovers.....come do 6:30 am Sanchin with Geoge (I learn something new every time I participate).....come let your hair down and play to the utmost......come support your Uechi and the great guy who is responsible for it exising in the U.S.

Put me down, George. I will see you, Susan, and the gang with bells on.

Love ya and love camp,
Vicki
Last edited by chef on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks Vicky...

Post by gmattson »

I'm looking forward to this year's camp. Last year Jay "Sal" convinced a TKD teacher to attend with a few of his students. This year I'm hoping to convince a number of different organizations to support the camp and to participate.

You and Bill have always been so helpful in the past. The two of you are a major part of the reason Sue and I continue to keep the SummerFest going.

See you in July.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Good news!

Post by gmattson »

John Hassell, our favorite "Traditional Okinawan Weapons" teacher, has confirmed he will be with us this year. This is especially good news for my Florida students, who look forward working with John during SummerFest.

Check out the home page (June 8 in the PM) for an update on this year's theme.

And get those applications in.
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

This year's camp...

Post by gmattson »

looking up.... Many presenters and a good crowd all three days.

I'm trying to build a schedule for JuniorFest (Saturday special program for kids) and would like to get a few more volunteers to teach interesting seminars for the kids. I'm going to have "Windsong" Blake teach one morning session and one in the afternoon. It will be a "familiarization" Bo session... perhaps teaching a simple Bo kata.

Anyone else have some ideas???? Please respond.
GEM

Return to “Fests_News”