Ring the bell

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

George foreman, that man sure could ring a bell.........
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

Even if there are certain resonant frequencies that are achievable with a punch, aren't the tolerances going to be very fine? How would you know you have the right frequency, even if you are striking using a method that theoretically can produce it? It just seems to me that the idea of finding a certain resonant frequency that will extract a specific physiological effect has the same problems that kyusho will in a practical context. I.E, that while you might be able to demonstrate something under controlled, dojo, circumstances, you're really going to have a very difficult time getting that level of precision against a resisting opponent. And it seems like time-on-target vs. snap is a bit rough a description of something that has very fine precision. Maybe I'm wrong about the precision required, since I don't really understand the details of the kinetics and chemistry involved.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Justin

The Ella Fitzgerald demonstration is a very special application.

Ever been in a car with a really decent subwoofer? You don't need to hear any ONE tone to know you can feel the music in your gut and body.

It's kind of like that. Whipping attacks are high velocity attacks. And as was suggested by Neil I believe, you don't have the damping effect (equals low pass filter) of holding your hand on the target after hitting it. It's like having an ear-shattering high frequency tweeter in your sound system.

The time on target is like having a subwoofer. You can feel it in your gut. It moves you.

In a perfect world, we hit with a full frequency spectrum of power. But few of us are perfect, Justin, and few situations allow us to do anything we want to do. We take limited abilities and do the best we can with them in any given circumstance.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Does this page get it right?
http://www.worldkungfu.com/whip.html
Did you show compassion today?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This can get much more complicated. For example...

Not a lot of people know that glass can be EXTREMELY strong as long as you apply even pressure. I used to create vacuums in the lab inside glass containers. That's what an incandescent light bulb is. And that glass is really thin.

However... Apply uneven pressure to glass, and it shatters.

Kevlar in tires is similar to that. A kevlar vest may help prevent you from getting killed by a bullet, but can be cut with a knife.

Biological tissues have very unusual, nonlinear properties. It should tell you something when we have difficulty making prostheses as durable as what is in mother nature.

Ever gotten a paper cut? Ever used a weed whacker? It's amazing what paper and fishing line can do.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Dana Sheets wrote:
Does this page get it right?
http://www.worldkungfu.com/whip.html
Yes. That's a pretty nice layperson's description of what I was saying.

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Was on the receiving end of that wave action this weekend. Don tagged me in the lower outside chest with a light roundhouse kick using his instep. The cool part was that where he hit didn't hurt but I could feel the fluid in my body being displaced. Very weird feeling and stopped me cold.
In CDT we did a belly slap with a cupped hand, and it did the same kind of thing if at a reduced level.

Bill, The guy in black belt may have been Ritchie A Barathy. I took a class at his school but they were way hardcore. He was a breaking monster and suffered some burns when one of his demos went wrong. He lost his eye when he was a kid.
I was dreaming of the past...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Richie Barathy of American Combat Karate. That's the guy, Mike.

Black Belt magazine - July 1986
Black Belt magazine - March 1997

RIP. The man passed away. No pictures of him available on the Internet.

- Bill

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”