Old School Training

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Old School Training

Post by Dana Sheets »

So what's your favorite old school Uechi training technique? I'm tallking things like pulling yourself across the floor with your toes, doing circle blocks with plates from the weight room, feel nice and sore the next day kind of stuff :!:
Did you show compassion today?
Jim Robinson

Post by Jim Robinson »

Doing (slow) Sanchin with light weights was fun. Sanchin stepping with someone piggybacked on you was another.
2x4's placed between you and a partners abdomen and traversing back and forth.
Jim Robinson
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

oops- I thought I had started this thread twice. I had accidentally stuck it onto the Seichin thread.

Here is Neil's post from that thread:
2Green

Sanchin stepping with a partner.

~N~

Post by 2Green »

onward, the transplanted thread!

I like to do Sanchin stepping with a partner resisting me using a fist on my chest, abdomen, shoulders, sternum, and even forehead (that's a tough one!)
It's difficult to keep the whole body focused and tucked and really be able to step through strongly.
For me, it's a great drill to practice anytime.

Recently I was called upon to teach a new student for an entire class and I used this as an element, it was very useful.

I had to explain how to "roll under" the resistance, and demonstrate it myself, and then get the student to start doing it. It was fun, interesting, challenging and useful, and the student felt some accomplishment, which to me is one of the most important elements of a class.

I really believe it's one of our "old-school" fundamentals.

~N~
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Yah-especially when your partner suddenly stops pushing on you and you see if you can keep your stance without bouncing.

...forehead though - hmmm...haven't tried that before but I will tomorrow night!

-d
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hey Jim - a 2x4 would be great motivation for not letting that board slip - I can't think of many people who'd enjoy having that crash onto their toes. :D
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Haven't done it with 2X4's, but poles, yes.

~N~
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
chef

Post by chef »

Along Neil's line of thinking, doing Sanchin with a partner behind you, holding onto your belt and keeping a continuous tension while you step. Makes you drive with the hips and keep that consistent 'low ceiling' in your stepping.

Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Hard sparring.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”