Web Hosting Services

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Dale Houser

Web Hosting Services

Post by Dale Houser »

Hi,

I'm looking for some of your experiences with web hosting sites. I'm looking for one that is inexpensive :D, reliable, provides data backup, ftp service and a phone number for customer service. Don't care if it's Unix or Windows servers. Just looking for basic hosting services. Plus the user will be doing their own site development.

I've searched and found a bunch of web hosting review sites but can't tell which are good and which are scams. It seems that companies like Lunar Pages, Infinology, StartLogic, EasyCGI are always listed but I don't trust all the sites. :wink:

Any help is appreciated, esp. if your are using one now. Thanks and Happy New Year!

-Dale
The martial arts begin and end with respect...
gmattson
Site Admin

I've had good luck

Post by gmattson »

with Ted's server. He is impossible to reach though, since he enrolled in college.

I'll send him an email if he wants to consider a new customer.

Believe me, the hosting situation is so much better today than a few years ago. Back then it was a nightmare, with companies coming and going - and when they went, so did your website.

Today, most of the companies offer good service at very reasonable and competitive prices.

Of course, Ted has been super kind and helpful to me over the years and I hope he will continue to put up with the trolls and other problems encountered since he took me on as a client.

A lot of your choice should be related to the amount of space and bandwidth your site "will" require. Almost everyone gets sucked into neat deals when they build their site, then discover all about the fine print after their site grows in size and popularity.

I don't even want to know how much space uechi-ryu.com and Eastern Arts takes up. I do know over 3/4 million people use the site every month, so my requirements are a major consideration.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Dale Houser

Post by Dale Houser »

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it if he's available. BTW, if I don't get much traffic in this forum, could I repost the thread in one of the more visited ones like "Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable"?

VBR,
Dale
gmattson
Site Admin

Most people

Post by gmattson »

check new posts in forums where they have an interest. That is the purpose of having different forums. I suspect over the next week or so, more posts will be appearing here. I know all the "techies" watch this forum.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
David the Gnome

Post by David the Gnome »

I've heard good things about Dreamhost. They seem to have pretty good rates and I've heard they're easy to work with.

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

A few of the sites I frequent use them. Not sure how much technical knowledge you have but I think you pretty much have to do everything. They just provide the server and the bandwith, you provide the .html pages that go on the server. It sounds like you know what you're doing though. As a student I get to use the university's services. 8)
Dale Houser

Post by Dale Houser »

Thanks, Ill check them out.
David the Gnome

Post by David the Gnome »

Let me know what you decide to go with. I've been debating signing up for my own site sometime in the near future.
willisan

Post by willisan »

I use goddady for my sites. Mnay features are included such as Content Management Systems, MySQL, Blogs, and all sorts of other PHP web tools that can add to your site.

Very cheap too...

Let me know if you have any questions at all about it, or any of the tools I mentioned.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”