Site for Location of Roman Legions From Caesar To 300CE

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Hugh

Site for Location of Roman Legions From Caesar To 300CE

Post by Hugh »

John, you and I have discussed this efore so I thought that you might find this site of interest:
http://www.romancoins.info/LocationofLegions.html
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
JOHN THURSTON

Oh Dear

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I have not been able to translate this yet as this computer does not do "pdf".

I will figure out a way.

The book "The Roman Imperial Army" does give the locations of the legions in Briton, at least.

I do not think the romans counted on having a minimum of 4 Legions in Britain ad infinitum-as many as were kept on the Rhine Limes, but it speaks well of their respect of the Britons.

Also, I think, augustcu thought to keep only 28 legiones in the 'Army of the Principiate"--but I think, and hugh will correct me, that the losses in Trans Rhine Germany may he upped this to 30.

A kink ( or salient) in the Rhine Frontier known as the "Agri Decumantes" at the time when Imperial ambitions settled on this frontier may have made the frontier less defensible than thought.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

John, ".pdf" signifies an Adobe Acrobat posting. All you need to do is to go tp Adobe Acrobat and use the free download.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
JOHN THURSTON

OK

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Yes MY computer downstairs hase adobe and so soes this one, but it is so slow I usually go to my own Computer for download.

Thank Hugh
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”