Slide, Shuffle, drag?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

One of the major ways of retreating in TSD and TKD is to STEP back. It combines most of the points mentioned.

For starters, it's possibly the fastest mentioned way to move backwards. Shoving off the front leg does indeed get you moving forward before you go backwards, but stepping back you can spring off your toes alone, then whip your leg to where it's going. It also incorporates the "don't trip" aspect of both sliding and falling back for outside. Finally, it is one of-- or the best-- way to move both off to angles and to move back in immediately. It can trigger a springy step-back-in, almost capoeria like.

This may not be applicable to you guys since it seems Uechie fighters stand pretty much square to the opponent and always have the same leg forward (I think?), but it's something to think about. I stand in a boxingish stance.
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

I'm probably a little late and a little off-base here, but....

What about falling back in the context of absorbing a kick?

This provides an excellent opportunity to trap the kicking leg and control an opponent to the ground (or worse), and illustrates how quickly a superficially defensive move can turn very offensive. Stepping back need not be simply about backing up.

And the driveing force can come from springing back, falling back or being driven back by the force of the kick, or a combo of all three depending on the situation.
Chris
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Sure - we fall back, we get knocked back - all those things happen - I think one of the things we want to train for is that our students will be able to retain their balance as well as possible when those things happen.
Did you show compassion today?
Chris McKaskell

Sure - we fall back, we get knocked back - all those things happen - I think one of the things we want to train for is that our students will be able to retain their balance as well as possible when those things happen.
Absolutely.
In my training, I'm never moving backwards without affecting the attacker in some way.
Sounds good.

I'm advocating working all the scenarios - this thread started with a conversation about how we where first taught to move and some were taught to fall back, some to push/thrust back etc. Why not work all the variations- and present them at the very beginning of one's training?

Or choose one then teach it in several different environmental conditions.

Either way the hope is that, with good training, the correct answer will present itself at the moment it is needed! IMHO :)
Chris
robb buckland

To Move is Devine !!!

Post by robb buckland »

It's interesting how many people feel that backing up is somehow bad .....
It is a good idea to work on footwork incorperating firepower and rythum (head and body) in all directions.
A good drill is working from the center of the clock..move to each # on the clock and back to center (step and slide) :D :D
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Chris McKaskell

Re: To Move is Devine !!!

robb buckland wrote:It's interesting how many people feel that backing up is somehow bad .....
It is a good idea to work on footwork incorperating firepower and rythum (head and body) in all directions.
A good drill is working from the center of the clock..move to each # on the clock and back to center (step and slide) :D :D
:!: Good or bad who cares -- it's often NECESSARY! :!:

May as well be really good at it!

:idea: :wink:
Chris
robb buckland

You Can Please Some of the People.........

Post by robb buckland »

:D :D :D :D
Thanks for the back up :!: :wink:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”