Folded Forged Blade

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Hanwei gladius

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

In this instance, as I noted, the hanwei Gladius actually seems to 'lack heft" but this is a matter of opinion.

I will post something when the redesigned Gladius is finished and/or I find another that Hugh has recommended or that I get to handle in advance.

Clearly the Hanwei Viking seems a bit odd with it's blunt shape, but I suppose the type was not made for point work and must take into account the safety needs of re enactors.

John
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

While not all Viking Era swords had sharp points as they were used mostly for slashing, the Hanwei Practical versions of all swords have had their points rounded off as well as their blades rebated for safety purposes. From what I hear, they are true bears to sharpen and it is easier all of the way around to buy the sharp version in the first place and get a better balanced sword.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
JOHN THURSTON

Moe Good Points

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

:D

Well;

It would seem to me that 're=enactors' such as yourself Hugh, would be very sensitive as to sharp points and edges.

Much as in the way I could not buy a "non firing replica" gun (unlesss pressed) as a pseudo collector, I prefer an appearrance of functionality.

You were quite correct about the internal weakness of the BK Viking, but, as a non functional repro I su[[ose it might be ok.

So neither criteria were met. although I did make the 3/8 welded bolt tang change and place a hilt from another demo sword on the newly bladed tang.

I enjoy working with metal and wood after 40 years behind a desk and I would feel very badly indeed if you felt I did not listen to you, let alone the safety issues.

Next time, I'll probably use a 1/2' bolt and have my friend teach me to weld.

Respect Always.

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”