Two New Jewels From Patrick Barta

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Hugh

Two New Jewels From Patrick Barta

Post by Hugh »

For your delectation and sword lust, Patrick Barta has added two new swords to his TEMPL site:
http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-an ... #127-sword

AND
http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-mi ... #223-sword

I am not a huge fan of rapiers as Migration Age swords are what light my fire (I have a #118 Abingdon Sword on order from Patrick) but, damn, that #223 rapier could very well turn me into a rapier fan. Gads, but that thing is gorgeous!! And, should you think that its price* is high, think of all of the hand work that goes into making it. It is really quite reasonable, considering the fantastic level of detail finishing that Patrick has done.

* At current exchange rates, about $6,000 US.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Since I cannot see how to edit the original post, I will post a correction. The proper link for Patrick's latest 10th Century sword is:
http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-an ... _of_x_type

If one of the Mods can make the change in my first link, I should appreciate it. He or she could then delete this second post.
JOHN THURSTON

edit

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I think only a moderator can edit a post-although you might or should be able to edit your own post.

If you want me to make a change I will try----but I don't normally change other people's posts.

Barta is the best and I doubt i will purchase anything of the like without running it by you.

However, the Katan and Wakisashis I have, at least, are either Hanwei of from a semi custom maker (although I think their 'tsuba' are too small).

It's just a continuing learning experience I guess.

I do feel a responsibility to look at lower priced items on the theory that not everyone has the necessary funds and ability to look at 'hands on" .

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Hugh

Re: edit

Post by Hugh »

JOHN THURSTON wrote:<Portion Deleted>
I do feel a responsibility to look at lower priced items on the theory that not everyone has the necessary funds and ability to look at 'hands on" .

J
Oh, I quite agree. Where you and I seem to part company is that my experience and that of my friends in the buying of sharp and pointy objects (my wife's term for my passion) is that I am actively trying to steer people away from the bottom feeders in the market as it has been the general experience that their products are not worth the effort to try to make them into worthwhile swords and/or knives. It is actually easier to salvage something out of a bad knife than out of a bad sword as there is less chance of there being fatal flaws in the shorter blade. But I have even given up on cheap knives after a pissant liner lock came open in my pocket, cutting my pants badly*, and then I had the lock on another POS Chinese knife collapse on me, nearly taking off a finger. I value my bodily parts too highly to risk them on low end POS junk.

BTW, if you wish to check out high end Bowies rather than the very reasonably priced ones from Paul Chen and Clyde Hollis, look up Jerry Fisk, Randall Knives, or go to some of the Art Knife Dealers and drool over their offerings. They are every bit as expensive as anything from Patrick Barta and, IMO, nowhere near as nice, even the Randalls. Mark me, I have two Randalls, a No. 1-7" that I bought in 1978 and a 6" Sportsman's Bowie that I bought back in 1961 for $25.00 when I was but 18. My parents were horrified at my spending that much for a knife. That knife has served me well for 46 years of hunting, camping, scout mastering, and even as a kitchen knife/cleaver when we were first married. I love Randalls but they are not even in the same class as Barta's work, nor do they try to be. Despite their collectability, Randalls are primarily user knives, not collectors' art pieces.
Hugh

OUCH!!

Post by Hugh »

Holy Cow!!! I was just looking at Patrick Barta's TEMPL page and he has raised his prices substantially. My old #102 Roman Riding Sword now costs 800 Euros or $1,173 at current exchange rates. When I got it in 03/02, the price was $250 plus shipping for a total of $290 and that was a "steal" as I later discovered. Apparently Patrick discovered it as well as his price went up to 400 Euros, still a good price. But 800 Euros seems an awful lot to pay for that sword.

This brings us to the #118 Abingdon Sword that I have had on order with him since 11/06. The base was 1600 Euros and I added extras worth 600 more Euros for a total of 2200 Euros or $3,225 at current rates. Now that his base price for the sword has gone up 50%, to 2400 Euros or $3,517, I shudder to think what my version would cost even assuming that the extras did not go up in price. That would be 3000 Euros or $4,397. Fortunately for me, the price was locked in when I ordered. Otherwise, I would have to cancel the order. Ouch!!

The moral of this is that, if you are at all interested in one of Patrick's jewels, I suggest that you place an order now as I very seriously doubt that he will be lowering his prices any time soon. Not when he has what I hear to be a 3+ year backlog of orders.
JOHN THURSTON

Holy Cow Indeed

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi:

Well, much as I would like to follow in your collector/re-enactor footstpeps, keep in mind that I am-----ah--------Barta is a bit out of my price range. :(

We all do what we can.

I have an extensive firearms and Katana collection as well, and I have even traded collectible firearms to get a look at a sword that would, for good reason, not be acceptable to you.

Have you contacted Odin Historical Swords? http://odinblades.com

He mostly handmakes knives but he has a selection of Handmade swords.

Unfortunately, even his works are out of my league, at least for the time being.

I spoke to the one man owner and he mostly focuses on knives and he said his sword prices and time frames have not been updated.

I noted to him that Western reproduction swords appears to becoming VERY popular----but his market is in NYC for knives mostly.

If you haven't checked him out, maybe it might be worth a call.

It's a shame your favorite maker is getting so exspensive.

But, my first Hanwei Katana was only $200 and the Shinto Katan is now prices at $900, and they are not custom blades.

John
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”