Carbine Pics

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Carbine Pics

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I am just going to be lazy and post some carbines that have passed through hands.

Most are rebuilt.

But maybe you might wish to save a pic or two.

I you want a pic or opinion (fwiw) just ask.

Image original Rockola

Image commercial Iver Johnson

ImageRebuilt National Postal Meter

Rebuilt Winchester but retaining a 'cartouched' stock

Just pics, not much more comment just now.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Very nice. What would be the very best carbine to own?
Van
JOHN THURSTON

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

For pursposes of collection only; GM. Saginaw, Underwood,.Royola any could be a good collocter.

At one time there were parts available to make any decent piece Proper GI.

Winchester is the "popular' choise, but now source woould make it difficuly to assemble a G-I on parts.

There is a company that handles this. I,ll see if I cann dig it out of my files.

Even though you might wish to keep that adjustaable site and the oirigianil GI ' flip" site handy.

A stock "stampted/ cartouched' stock,of the type made to fit your rifle eill be Hard to finf.

I you like your carbine and as a camp gun, you do not have to change it.

For those puposes any good shooining clean Carbine will do just fine,
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Hello John. I made the CMP cut for the latest service grade offerings and will soon be getting a Rock-ola and a Winchester. No SNs as yet.

Last month I purchased a 1,000 round case of the Aguila 30 carbine from CMP. My son and I are having a ball with the stuff. It is a bit dirty and a bit underpowered but so far have had no failures in 250 rounds.

We took my M4 out on Wednesday and shot it side by side with my 2 Inland M1 Carbines. The carbines are more accurate but they pack nowhere near the punch of the mil-spec 5.56mm NATO out of the M4.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
JOHN THURSTON

Guns And Butter

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I would buy any of a hundred different weapons----but the 'need for butter, here is big.."
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RACastanet

Two more carbines arrive!

Post by RACastanet »

John: My Rockola and Winchester are here and they are great.

The Rock's barrel has a bright bore and a muzzle that measures 1.5 on the bore gauge. The Win barrel is even better, with a 1.0 on the gauge.

The Win came with a beautiful Rock stock. With a quick swap I have a Rock about a complete as you could want.

These should be excellent shooters.

The Saginaws and NPMs will be offered in late April. The IBMs and Standard Products in July. Hopefully I can get another version or two to add to my collection.

Rich
JOHN THURSTON

Great

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Rich:

Thanks for letting us know that the present CMP Carbines are decent.

Perhaps you can help.

Sensei Van has a very nice Underwood-----but wishes to know what is the best.

I guess my opinion would be Underwoood or Winchester and Rockola for my first three choices.

This is more or less based on a collector 'gone bust' opinion.

My only remaining carbiine is an IMI with USGI parts.

But it shoots.

I'd rather have my rockola, Winchest, NPM etc back---of course forget the Iver Johnson.

Let me know if any of the stocks are properly cartouched.

I remeber find a one shot source for Winchester Wood for somebody's M-1.
Took me about 20 second to order it--you know that story.

If collectable grades are hard to find and pricey (the "NMs" on the CMP site sort some hefty tags) how does one balance utility, quality vis a vis collectability??
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Good show, Rich :D You got some fine pieces.

I love my Underwood ...even as I think of it as a 'mouse gun'...

But as a 'car gun' it's hard to beat 8) ...well it was a jungle gun and killed many enemy soldiers with one shot.
Van
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Sensei Van has a very nice Underwood-----but wishes to know what is the best.
They are functionally all about the same. Keep in mind the last USGI version was built in 1945 so they are not new. Also, many were 'loaned' to other countries and may have well worn barrels.

The #1 thing to check is the bore and muzzle. It is imperative to have a muzzle ereosion gauge to check the condition of the muzzle. Anything over 3 will be a marginal shooter. I would not want a muzzle over 2 myself. Thru good fortune, my Winchster's bore measures under 1 on a USGI gauge and my Rock-ola at 1.5... both are excellent. Also, the bores must be bright and shiny. To check this a borelight is handy. Any pitting or corrosion in the bore should be a warning to you. Also, if the barrel was cleaned carelessly the muzzle could be worn out of round. Not a good thing.

Underwood was reported to make the best barrels but my Underwood measures around 2.5 and it is an Ok shooter at best.

For safety you need to check the headspace with quality gauges. Bolts get swapped over the years and an unsafe condition can develop as a result.

Rich
JOHN THURSTON

Thanl You Rich

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

For the more detailed reply.

I am going iwth your opinion here and only add that, of any age, the commercial Iver Johnson "stink" and that the IMI pieces only briefly available seem ok.

But they are no lnger available.

So, If oredering froom the CMP, go with Rich's notes and keep your Underwood's.

My Winchesters and Underwoods were actually bought but the restoration company called Miltech.

Mine needed no restoration and as long as they were paying my price?

Well, I do not know if Miltech is still around and I regret the sale of ALL my Carbine although My little known IMI is quite tight.

I guess you can trust the Israelis on the Quality contorl end.

Camments?
RACastanet

US Paratrooper Stock US M1A1 Carbine

Post by RACastanet »

This week I picked up a paratrooper stock for one of my Inland M1 Carbines. It is beautiful walnut and almost a drop in fit. This stock makes the common carbine into a great, easy to carry, tactical weapon.

Here is the link to Numrich...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp ... erSKU=&MC=

Rich

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”