Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Place to find cookbooks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 pm 

Hey, guys, I was in Marshall's looking for some shoes and stopped over to check out the books. Lo and behold, I picked up a Bon Appe'tit cookbook, hard bound!

I decided to try both Gourmet and Bon Appe'tit magazine this past year and fell in love with both of these.

What a treat to get the 2006 hard bound copy with over 200 recipes from the 2006 magazine...and the best part: I got a $29.95 book for $6.99.

Make sure you check out Marshall, maybe TJ Maxx, and Tuesday morning for great deals on great books. I have seen quite a few very good ones like Cooking Light and others.

Do you have any favorite cooking magazine or books your would recommend?

Regards,
Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 am 

Hi Vicki,

We get a few each year - I find over the past twelve months we've been going back again and again to 'Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone' by Deborah Madson (author of 'The Greens Cookbook').

I like it because it has really healthy, really flavorful recipes presented in a not-fanatical kind of way -- right on the cover she states, "If you're a committed vegetarian, you can prepare every recipe in this book. If you are a Vegan, you can cook most of them. If you don't attach a title to your eating style, you can cook everything in this book and serve it with meat, fish, or fowl."

I'm an omnivore! And, in my mind, food is inclusive - so her philosophy really appeals to me. Further, of the dozen or so recipes we've tried there's really only one I didn't care for - and the others we've done several times.

Another one:

The most recent purchase that I like is 'Whining and Dining' by Emma Waverman and Eshun Mott (yep, I do believe that's David Mott's daughter -- just a coincidence though: I was working in Toronto and had some time to kill and was looking for something to read at BOOK CITY and the child's face on the cover caught my attention -- reminded me of one of my youngest -- anyway, I had the book for several weeks before I noticed the authors).

The book is really intended for families with small children - so maybe it's one Dana and Heather should look at -- the recipes we've tried from it seem to appeal to all ALL age groups! We've tried three so far, and I'd use them all again. In fact, I'll be making the eggplant tomato sauce this week with whole wheat spaghetti, carrot sticks and salad. (Oh and maybe a glass of Shiraz, for me!)

I'd love to hear about other people's favorites...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:09 am 

Sounds great, Chris....definitely with a great Shiraz. I especially love those Australian Shiraz wines.

Have you ever looked at the Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook, by Mollie Katzen. It is a classic vegetarian cook book. I am definitely a meat lover but now that I am older, wiser, and doing Weight Watchers, I have much more vegetables and fruits in proportion to meats.

It's always good to get feed back (no pun intended) from everyone here on the Forum.

Regards,
Vicki...the other onmivore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 am 

There's no school like the old school!

That's a significant cook book everyone should have! 8)

I'm actually due for a new copy -- my old one was accidentally dropped....in a recipe :oops:

Probably Karma - I was cheating by using a chicken broth at the time! :P

I don't want to start any controversies here, but some of the best vegetarian cooking I've had has included stock and broths made from animals. Therein lies the joy of being an omnivore -- flavour! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:17 pm 

Amen to that, Chris!

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:44 pm 
I have the Crank's Bible...but a treasured cook book is "The York Wholefood Restaurant Cookbook"...hand printed and no longer available :cry: ...it was a lovely bohemian cafe in the middle of York 8)
To those who don't know ......going to York is like going back to the middle ages :D
A place I love hence my Monica "Jorvik"....which is York.......as in alas Poor Yorik :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:54 am 

"The York Wholefood Restaurant Cookbook"

Good on you: sounds like a real collector's item!

Care to share a notable recipe from it??

I got this one just a few weeks ago:

"Cooking With Foods That Fight Cancer"

By Richard Beliveau and Denis Gingras

C 2006 McClelland and Stewart

I picked it up because I happened to listen to an interview with one of the authors on CBC and he sounded really informed and intelligent.

The book itself covers a lot of pre-digested (yeah, it’s a pun) clinical research and it largely appears to be intended for people actively seeking to avoid cancer (we’re all trying to avoid cancer, right? But some of us not so actively).

The authors are important authorities in the field of cancer – they know what they are talking about and appear to have been involved in both primary and secondary research to back it up.

What appealed to me was the recipes – most deal with items I’m already cooking with, but it connects those items to their active roles in helping to prevent cancer.

The reason I’m suggesting it here is because many of the recipes are pretty good!

So, aside from my thoughts here are some of the chapters from the table of contents for you to begin formulating your own thoughts:

4) DIET: AT THE HEART OF CANCER PREVENTION

6) THE MAGIC OF MUSHROOMS

8) HERBS AND SPICES: A TASTE OF CANCER PREVENTION

9) PROBIOTICS: BACTERIA THAT WANT WHAT’S GOOD FOR YOU

11) THE GARLIC FAMILY: KEEPING CANCER FAR AWAY

13) TOMATOES AND PROSTATE CANCER: IT’S ALL IN THE SECRET SAUCE

17) RED WINE: METHUSELAH’S DAILY DOSE

18) CHOCOLATE: PASSION AND PREVENTION IN ONE DARK PACKAGE

Eat well, live well!

And York, I really would love to try a recipe from that book of yours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:48 pm 
I'll post a recipe when I get a chance :) ...........the reason that I remember it was that it was my wife's and my first time in York...we went by train and when we got there we looked for somewhere to stay.it was cold and wet :cry: .............and we were truly fed up, then we stumbled upon the restaurant :D .and it was Bohemian, the folks all had long hair and beards, sweaters and jeans.we felt right at home.and we ordered a Biriyani curry with brown rice, it came with homemade bread.marvelous and warming, we felt our spirits rise.................and from then on York was the place for us.....although I haven't been in over 10 years :cry:

If you want a healthy choice of diet try reading " the Longevity Diet" by Brian m Delaney and lisa Walford....and check out this site

http://calorierestriction.org/

lots of good sense here......also you'll get a body like Master Toyama :wink: