Power Infighting--The Beginning

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Bill Bauknecht

Power Infighting--The Beginning

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Since we do not have the scanner available,,let me ease in to it.

This is taken from my Explosive Karate book, an introduction to power infighting.

This is not a self defense book. If you want to take a self defense course I'm sure there are those who will be glad to take your money and will show you a few things that will be forgotten at the conclusion of the course. My realistic suggestion to someone looking for a course in self defense is to buy a shotgun and a loud angry dog.
Thisisalook at several "no nonsense" things that will give you another facet to your martial arts' training. This is simply another level in your look at the already workable art of karate. This is karate, and you've probably seen some of the things in this book before. What I'd like to do is to illustrate many of these techniques in a way that will enhance your knowledge. The training for these moves can come from different segments of your training. Training equipment will help, but some simple bags and punching mitts will do.
Knowledge of the human body is very important when one trains. When I was in free fighting competition a point was awarded to you if you hit your opponent in certain areas of the body. You could not receive a point if you hit him in other areas because it was not a "Point Area." Sometimes it was because it was a dangerous area and the safety of the players were important. However, most of the awards were given for techniques directed to non realistic sections of the body. After all, it was only a "game"... the "sport" area of karate. Looking at it any other way would be a mistake!
One practices to deliver the kick or punch in a manner that will hit the opponent andyet beveryvisual.In thisway the referee, the side judges, the guy selling tickets and Ray Charles will be able to detect the "POINT."
Many of the moves that are in this training guide would never be noticed or recognized as sparring or free fighting. They are stopping moves and they work. With the help of your teacher and much practice, this will be a good segment to include in your training.
Safety is always important. In a sparring match you will notice that everything is practiced on training aids and not on another person. When you work with a partner, place your move on the section of the body softly. This is for distance and direction of the particular move. It enables you to feel your position and torque along with body mechanics. I'll be talking about these things as we go from move to move and from one training method to another.
IMPORTANT:
Nothing in this training manual can be started until you have had proper training. Only your teacher can determine if he/she wants to include the material in this manual in their teaching. Only your teacher can determine if you are ready and able to begin work on the material enclosed.

Hopefully we will be able to include photos next week.
Art
JOHN THURSTON

Sting Like A Bee

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi:

One thing that has never really been investigated or discussed at length is "Rooting" (aka-grounding) and " internal connection connection".

Since I am an old puke, my cross training is in Ta'i Chi.

Many moons ago Gem posted my article on TC and Karate.

TC.---gives great emphasis of grounding and internal connections.

This is not to say that one is rooted to the ground--immobilizing oneself, but at the point of finishing a block or delivering a strike, one in connected internally and rooted to the earth.

It is harder to see in Uechi, but in the kata, and i ask this, one is never constantly on 'both feet" or any one foot as the weoghting is constantly shifting without giving visual cues to an opponent that the internal Ki is constanly in motion.

However, I think at the point of attack or the finish of a block, an instant of what TC would call "double weighting" and total internal internal connectiion is the ideal.

Most of the time I think I am talking in a foreign dialect when I raise these training points, but I willl risk it in this hello to Sensei Rabesa.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I totally agree John , and just thought I`d post and add im looking forward to following this forum and the subject .
Art Rabesa

Re: Power Infighting--The BeginningGrounded

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here is a question from John Thurston and Stryke back in 2008. Once again, I'm just getting into this computer thing after all these years. The question relates to ones grounding or being rooted. This is a good awareness of the training. This should be stressed from the beginning. The foundation comes from sanchin training. Over and over. class after class. There is no magic to this. The practice of moving in one piece. Ending the step or slide and the arm movement at the same time. To coordinate the timing of this comes from constant practice. This moving in one piece is something I go over constantly. It is expressed at great length in my web site. I suggest you check out the site, There you will see what I refer to. Thanks for the interest. Happy Trails ------Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Josann

Re: Power Infighting--The Beginning

Post by Josann »

What's your feelings on head butts? might sound like a dumb question, but I often feel in seisan bunkai that the double thrust(as in sanchin) that is done with the 2 attackers, kiai, and steering the attacker to the right is just begging for one.

Also, I notice in your videos that when you work real close with your partner your shorter stature makes it perfect.

Curious on your thoughts on this.
Art Rabesa

Re: Power Infighting--The Beginninghhead butt?

Post by Art Rabesa »

Josann has a question concerning head butts. This is not always the best thing to do. It takes some practice to deliver a good one. Many times the one delivering the head butt comes out second best. I have this in my clip, but it has to be done at the right moment. Your question pertaining to my height being an advantage in close. It does help when working some of the strikes, but I wouldn't consider it an advantage. For the record, I'm a shade under 5'8". I find that I'm usually striking up when training. It does add to the stopping power when strikes are arced slightly upward. I've trained many who are quite tall, and they can work inside very well. I've always thought that anyone over 5'8" was abnormal anyway. Happy Trails ------- Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Power Infighting--The Beginning

Post by Art Rabesa »

I was asked if being 5'8" is an advantage in working close. It works for me, but I don't really think it's that important. I have trained many tall people who can work close very well. It is all body mechanics. So , once you've established your own mechanics, you can hit from real close. I trained Bob Campbell at 6'4". However, I trained him as if he were 5'5". The result is that Bob can work close because of his mechanics. It's all about being comfortable in close. So, your stature might help a little, but it is not the most important thing . To be a good infighter is like everything else we do. Practice - practice - practice. ----Happy Trails ---- Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”