Hello from Art Rabesa.

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Hey Arthur...you are doing a great job in explaining things that make real sense coming from you.

Maybe you should also point out to the readers that you were a Physical Education professor for the school system and for most of your life.

I know who that guy with the shirt and tie was on Okinawa as well...recall we had similar fun with him here in the States
when we tired him out :lol:

Once Bob Campbell in Okinawa told him that if he were intent in testing his sanchin he'd have to agree to have the favor repaid on the spot.

Suffice to say Campbell was not tested. :o

Do you think that your great smashing power, the kind that almost killed those four punks who invaded your car in Boston, was somehow also related to your ability to bench 400 pounds? :wink:

How about that A-hole in the bar you smashed beer mugs in his face :?: :lol:
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

You may also want to entertain us a bit with the account of your fight with Burleson… :wink:

George and I met him in Chicago for the 1963 first world championship_
In 1963 the 1st World Karate Championship was help in Chicago, jointly sponsored by Robert Trias and the late John Keehan (aka "Count Dante"). "AlGene Caraulia won it as a brown belt," Burleson states.

"Allen was there, myself, Jim Harrison and a few others. In those days there were no belt division; in fact, no rules to speak of. That first time in Chicago you saw the marriage of kicking and punching.

We went up there with only our kicks, but we dropped everyone we hit. After seeing the hand techniques on those guys, however, we went back to learn some punches.
~~

In spite of his own reputation, Burleson says that the three top fighters of that period were Allen Steen, Mike Stone, and Jim Harrison.

"They were totally awesome," claims Burleson, "Because if you didn't defend yourself against these three you could be seriously crippled for life.

A lot of guys were intimidated by them and didn't fight that kind of fight, but if you intended on beating them then it turned into a life or death thing."

"As I said, there were no rules in those days," remembers Burleson. "The rules in those days were kind of made up in those first few tournaments. And they were quasi-rules at that. That was the terrifying part--anything could happen."

This period of competition is justifiably called the "Blood-'n'-Guts Era" of American martial arts.

Although the rules stated certain grounds for disqualification most competitors and officials alike ignored them.

Fighters were constantly kicked out of the rings. Broken bones and the drawing of blood were commonplace.
Van
JOHN THURSTON

Iron Shirt Et al>

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Separate thread.

No Problem.

Back in the day Sifu would teach TC only to people who had studied the Iron Shirt with him first.

Every Art is its own little world.

John
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”