Big eight drill

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
f.Channell

Big eight drill

Post by f.Channell »

Hello,

If your a realist stop reading now!
I teach this drill to my 4-6 year age group.
When Sensei Mattson speaks of making athletes out of students, this is one of the ways.
The big eight teaches symetry skills and flowing attack.
Using hand pads the attacker starts with a right punch, step left punch, right elbow, left elbow, right knee strike, left knee strike, right roundhouse kick, left roundhouse kick.
Sometimes for a great job they do a jumping right roundhouse. (big 9 whoops)
Keep enforcing hands up by lightly smacking if their hands go down.
Truth be told it's not a bad adult drill either for developing the left elbow strike in Uechika.
Initially teach the drills through a 4 week period, revisit once a month after that to develop the skill further.
I favor this as opposed to teaching them a Kumite 3 for example.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Nice

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

this a is a good drill.

Every one should have one he can call his own.

the only Comment (not a critique) is based on an unusual premise, if you are being in a particular maner, is it relally nessecary to have tried to developed your "off" side (bad or non domninant) depemding on your art, maybe yes, maybe no.

I am extremely right side dominant, and I take another approach---develop techiniques for "dominate" side use regardlass of the attack, this just mean that your response on one side is not going to be as same as the other.

An arcane excample:, I am carving slowly into Cowboy Action shooting.

Being right eyed and hand domninant, I would thus chose a "normal" draw right side and a "cross" draw for the left side holster.

Of course it would be better to equalize both sides, and I am going to try, and in the 'gunslinger" class that is what is expected.

Fred's drill sounds cool and I hope i will get a chance to map it out.

For this type of drill I keep it short, and don't asl too too much of one's weak side.

Simple:

A live dummy has two hand pads, and stands weak side forward:

Attacker (you) slides (front foot first) or "blitzsteps" in : froward jab, right cross, left hook, and get out, because the dummy will now be trying to headslap you as you try to back out of reach.

I assume the various tecnigues one can work into his basic concept are relatively unlimited.

I might possibly disagree with Sensei Fred with respect to Kumite three----it depends on how much memorization one wishes to drop on one's students.

After all, the prearranged kumite are as much for the use of the instructors and boards to evaluate a student, as they are to meet other goals, which they also do.

J.

Is ANY good Prearranged Kumite 'useless, well, I don;t think Sensie Fred would ever say that.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi John,

Kumite three being difficult to teach to very young children is what I was referring to.
I keep a lot of Kumite alive as you know.
Even started doing Nijuroko again. Lest I forget it.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I dont think it`s bad from a realist point of veiw Fred , pad work is great , and working through all the angles combos good stuff .
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Yes the pads give you good feedback on the power of the strike.
Gets the attacks flowing.
Helps to stop that one punch-run away mentality.
I don't do Kata with the little kids so we spar and grapple a bit.
Keeps me wary of those low kicks :lol:

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Hi

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Fred and Styke:

I don't see any serious disagrement here.

I too have trouble teaching newbies K #3 probably because they have not learned to step and pucnh, let alone step and punch at the same time.

Perhaps teaching the first three steps of Kanchiwas Bunkai (pick your way I have seen at least 20) as a drill, then uprgrading as the students progresses.

No I have not forgotenn Ni Che Ro Ko (25 steps?). I transformed (not difficult) for use as a Sai form perciselly because the reguluar kobudo forms for sai are at bit longish and 25 steps fits the bill rather well.

Other wise I stay with traditional forms for Bo.

I never could 'grasp" the tonfa--so I guess that's a loss for my guys.

J
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Use the same kata for the Tonfa, that should work with some tweaking.

f.
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Tonfa

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

One hate to continually admit shortcomings, but I am hopeless with a tonfa, although several of my former students did/do the Tonfa Kata first presented to us in 1983 on Thompson's Island-one of the best of the camps.

So, already being swamped with 8 "reegular" kata, (so to speak) plus the ?kata? called "Ryuku" which the OKK group has been putting together for the past several years (I guess it's ok-although nobody requires performance of it on test or in class, although if you wish to perform it as your "individual" kata (thus far only in a class format) you may do so.

As an aside, We do the same Bp form from 1983 (indicating Master Sueshi?) as is originator+ Shushi No Kon Sho, the transformed "25 steps" for Sai, and Tokumine No Kun as a second Bo form, plus the 108 movement TC form, plus the "Gim" form, plus two forms of push hands etc., etc., etc. I guess I got a bit on the overwhelmed side.

I converted (and for once a conversion seemed to work ok) Kumite 3 as practice for handling the Bo.

(right "normal" strike v Normal low block, left reverse low strike vs. reverse low block left (reset) repeat, and so on.

But it is fun and gets the group more accustomed to weapons.

It's not difficult, or I wouldn't do it.

Return to “Fighting Drills”